List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY

List entry Number: 1366459

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY, NORTON IN HALES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityNorton in Hales

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260437

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 7038-7138 NORTON IN HALES C.P. NORTON IN HALES

10/131 Church of Saint Chad and attached archway

GV II*

Parish church. C13 chancel, late C14 west tower and some probably C13 or C14 work in west-end of south aisle. Restored and rest rebuilt in 1864-5, and north transept and archway added in 1872. Tower of red (with some grey) sandstone ashlar and chancel and west end of south aisle of dressed red and grey sandstone. C19 work of uncoursed red sandstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Fishscale slate roofs. 4-bay nave and and aisles with north baptistery, north transept with attached archway, chancel with north vestry, and west tower. C19 work in a C14 Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages. Diagonal buttresses up to second stage with chamfered offsets, moulded string course to belfry, moulded parapet string with central carved gargoyles and battlemented parapet with chamfered coping and crocketed corner pinnacles. Louvred belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Sounding holes in second stage to north and south, each consisting of a quatrefoil set in a square panel. West window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Small rectangular staircase windows in south-west corner. C19 neo-Norman west doorway with dogtooth and fleuron ornament, one order of twisted shafts with cusion capitals and broach-stopped bases, and boarded door with decorative strap hinges. Base built out to north has blocked Gothic doorway with hoodmould. Clock above sounding hole to south. Nave and aisles: buttresses (diagonal at corners) with chamfered offsets, parapeted gable ends, with cross at apex to east and ridge cresting. Left-hand return front of south aisle with moulded string course at eaves level. Aisle windows of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Trefoil clerestory windows, also with carved heads as stops to hoodmoulds. Chancel: chamfered plinth to north, angle buttresses to east, parapeted gable end with cross at apex and ridge cresting. Chamfered round-arched window to right (almost pointed-arched) and blocked C13 roll-moulded priest's doorway to left. Straight joint to left is probably blocked door or window. Chamfered round-arched (almost pointed-arched) north window and central C19 north doorway with roll-moulded arch and boarded door with strap hinges. Tudor-arched east window of 4 Tudor-arched lights and with hoodmould. The east wall appears to have been rebuilt at a later date (see straight joints to north and south). North transept: diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets. Windows to east and west, each of 2 cinquefoil- headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Doorway to west with chamfered arch,hoodmould with carved heads as stops and boarded door with strap hinges. Large north window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with Geometrical tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Polygonal vestry in angle of transept with buttresses, pyramidal roof, chamfered- arched window to right with hoodmould and chamfered-arched doorway to left with hoodmould and boarded door with strap hinges. Polygonal baptistery in angle of tower and north aisle with buttresses, pyramidal roof, and 3 chamfered-arched windows with hoodmoulds. Archway adjoining transept to north. Rubblestone with tooled dressings. Gothic arch with hoodmould and scalloped impost bands. Battlemented parapet above with chamfered coping, raised in centre with cross and niche to each side (that to west with small statue). Small carved shields in spandrels to west. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades (C19 but possibly based on medievil fragments) consisting of octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded capitals, chamfered arches and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Continuously double- chamfered C15 tower arch (inner chamfer to west with impost band). Double-chamfered chancel arch (possibly incorporating some medievil work); outer arch with chamfered base and inner arch springing from marble colonnettes ettes with carved stone corbels and stiff-leaf capitals. Chamfered north transept arch; octagonal pier with moulded capital. C19 four- bay nave roof and 3-bay transept roof with braced collar trusses resting on carved brackets with pierced spandrels and springing from stone corbels carved as heads; pairs of purlins. Lean-to aisle roof with scalloped wall plates and carved rosettes, Ceiled wagon roof over chancel with moulded ribs dividing panels and springing from carved stone corbels. Chamfered-arched sedilia to south with trefoiled piscina to left. Cham- fered-arched doorway from east end of north aisle to vestry; boarded door with strap hinges. Chamfered-arched C19 doorway between tower and baptistery with boarded door. C19 boarded door to stair turret with chamfered square reveals. Fittings: tiles and mosaics to wall flanking east window with panelling below. C19 altar table and pair of large brass candlesticks. Altar rails of 1933-6 with turned balusters. C19 choir stalls with poppyheads, some with reused C17 panelling (with figures and arched panels etc.) and some with reused barleysugar balusters to front. Brass eagle lectern. Organ in eastern bay of south aisle with painted timbers.C19 polygonal stone pulpit with Caernarvon -arched passageway to rear, stubby marble colonnettes to stem and top with carved capitals and moulded bases, carved panels between with the symbols of the evangelists, and carved stiff-leaf to frieze. C19 circular stone font consisting of clustered marble colonnettes to stem with carved capitals and moulded bases, 4 carved quatrefoil panels to bowl and wooden cover with wrought- iron cresting. C19 pews with arcaded backs and carved poppyheads with inscriptions. Probably C18 raised and fielded wainscot panelling to nave, C19 choir stalls in transept with pierced frontal.2 benefactors boards in north transept. Two C19 traceried half-glazed doors inserted beneath tower arch. Painted inscription above chancel arch: "THIS IS THE HOUSE OF GOD / THIS IS THE GATE OF HEAVEN". Probably C18 white and black stone floor to chancel. C19 stained glass in east window and some aisle windows. Hatchment beneath tower. Monuments: Cotton monument in recess beneath tower dated 1606, by Inigo Jones. Alabaster. Sarcophagus base with harpies at corners, central winged angel and festoons between, 2 recumbent effigies with woman holding infant to bared breasts, pair of large flanking Corinthian columns with carved surface ornament and topped by shields, and back panel flanked by Corinthian pilasters with strapwork and topped by cornice and scrolled pediment with central shield and flanking putti. Small flanking carved figures on wall. Inscription on panel: "FRANCIS ELDEST DAUGHTER TO / SIR ROBERTE NEDHAM OF SHA / VINGTON IN THE COUNTIE OF / SALLOP KNIGHT AND WIFE TO / SR. ROWLAND COTTON OF AL / KINGTON IN THE COUNTIE / KNIGHT DYED IN CHILD BED BE / ING DELIVERED OF A DAUGHTER / WHO LIKEWISE DYED ON SON / DAYE A DAYE OF REST BEING THE / 23rd DAYE OF NOVEMBER ANNO DOMINI / 1606." Small wooden bird on hook over monument. A Flemish close helmet (c.1540- 80) also once hung above the monument (now on loan to the Tower of London). Other tablets beneath tower include: one (inscription illegible at time of survey - July 1986) with triangular pediment, flanking scrolls with carved drops, base with scrolled brackets, and central shield with flanking swags. One to Robert Davison (d.l0 October 1772) and his wife Rachel (d. 21 August 1762) with segmental pediment and swags. Tablet in north transept to Rowland Cotton of Etwall (d. 26 April 1753) and his wife Mary (d. 11 December 1761) consisting of large obelisk with scrolled brackets, flanking urns, cartouche in centre, and base with inscription and moulded cornice. Other C18 and early C19 memorial tablets. A monument to Samuel and Barbara Davison [erected 1757 by William Baker of Audlem (1705-1771)]. Two sepia photographs of the church after the C19 restoration are on display in the vestry along with a drawing of a house (probably the old vicarage). B.o.E. p. 220 and ill.36a; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, pp. 710-11; Colvin, p. 84; John Summerson, Inigo Jones, London, p.28.



Listing NGR: SJ7035538676

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 84
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 710-11
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 220
Summerson, J, Inigo Jones28

National Grid Reference: SJ 70355 38676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 06:16:17.