List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1366403

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCudworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CUDWORTH CP ST31SE 2/20 Church of St Michael

4.2.58

GV II

Anglican parish church. C12 origins, with north doorway and one small window of that period. C13 nave and chancel with C14 and C15 modifications. Local lias stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs between stepped ccoed gables: west bell turret. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses and 2 full-height buttresses on north side, but none on south: the east window a 3 light 'Y' tracary window of C14 under arched headstop label; the east window of south wall a 2-light of early Geometric tracery in slightly hollowed recess without label, and to west a C19 single lancet; in north wall a C14 traceried 2-light window under arched headstop label to east, and single lancet to west; possibly C19. Nave has buttresses to south-west corners, and two towards extremities of south wall; the windows in that wall both 3-light, the eastern in deep hollowed recess with very early Perpendicular tracery, the west having later Perpendicular tracery and set in shallower recess under arched headstop label; between these a blocked chamfered segmental-pointed arched doorway with former statue niche over, above this being the water tabling for a previous proch: in the west nave wall a C19 doorway in rectangular recess without label, above which is a 3-light C15 pattern traceried window in deep hollowed recess - the whole of this wall apparently a C19 rebui1d: the bell turret has a pitched stone roof and pointed-arched apertures for 2 bells, both of C17 date. North aisle has lancet windows - on north wall a pair towards east end, then a single cusped lancet and a plain lancet flanking a C12 doorway having single sideshafts, roll-and-recess moulded arch with label: the tympanum mostly plain but incorporating some stones with acanthus-type decoration: in east wall a 3-light almost Curvilinear-traceried window in slight recess, under which is a very small C12 window apparently with round-headed recess internally west wall plain. Interior not accessible, but reported is the low 3-bay arcade of irregular spans of octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches; no chancel arch but traces of a C16 rood screen: nave ceiling opened out and new roof to aisle in 1904; C20 carvings in chancel. Fittings include large early C13 font with dog-tooth and cable-mould decoration: Jacobean pulpit; fragments of pre-Reformation altar top and a carved and painted statue niche: mutilated C13 tomb top. Inscribed memorial to Sarah Smyth d 1684. Fragments of medieval glass in east window of north aisle. First mention of church cl186-88. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958: VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, pp146-7).

Listing NGR: ST3731310870

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 146-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 37313 10870

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:09:37.