List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PEPLOW HALL

List entry Number: 1366127

Location

PEPLOW HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHodnet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260236

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HODNET C.P. PEPLOW SJ 62 SW 9/81 Peplow Hall 10.2.59

GV II*

Country house. Dated 1725. Enlarged in 1887 for Sir Francis Stanier (1838-1900). Reduced in size and altered c.1932-9. Red brick. Roof invisible behind parapet. 6 x 7 bays with additions to north. 2 storeys. South-west (entrance front): corner pilaster strips, plat band and moulded brick cornice. Panelled parapet with stone coping, raised to centre 3 bays. Central dated stone sundial with broken triangular pediment. Four C19 panelled brick ridge stacks with dentil brick caps. 2:3:2 bays with central break and C20 wing to left; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes, stone cills and gauged brick heads. Central 3 first-floor windows and windows to C20 wing with shaped brick heads and raised brick keystones. Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels. Stone doorcase of c.1932 with moulded architrave, panelled pilaster strips, and large shell hood on shaped brackets. Pair of C19 downpipes with large rainwater heads, one with crest and one with the initials: "FS". C20 wing with one-bay returns. C18 and C19 wings adjoining to left. 4:3 bays; segmental-headed glazing bar sashes. Dentil brick eaves cornice and panelled parapet. Three C19 brick stacks. Right-hand return front: 5:1 bays. Plat band, interrupted beneath windows. Parapet raised over central bay and has central dated stone sundial with scrolled pediment. Late C20 half-glazed door in third bay from left with late C20 conservatory. North-east (garden) front: 1:5:1 bays; narrow third and fifth bays and flanking wings. Plat band, stepped up beneath first-floor sashes and central dated stone sundial in parapet with broken triangular pediment. Central first-floor sash with shaped gauged head and raised brick keystones. Central C20 half-glazed door with latticed rectangular overlight and lugged stone architrave with raised centre. Half-glazed C20 door in return of right-hand wing with latticed over- light and lugged architrave. Attic added to right-hand wing c. 1932 with keyed gauged-brick oculus to front. Rainwater head with the initials: "FSB". Circa 1932 wing to right: 3:1 bays. Interior: altered in the late C19 and mid-C20 but still retaining many C18 fixtures and fittings. Resited C18 dog-leg staircase with landing; open string with inlaid tread ends, nosings with bead and reel ornament, carved scrolled brackets (section continued as soffit), 3 balusters per tread (iron twist, plain and barleysugar), ramped moulded handrail, curtail with fluted columnular newel, and fluted columnular newel to half-landing. Circa 1932 landing balustrade. Bolection- moulded dado panelling. Drawing room: C18 fixtures including bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and cornice. Wooden fire- place with carved lugged architrave, frieze with carved scrollwork, fruit drops- and amphora, and carved cornice. Pair of shell niches with husk-drops, carved scrollwork and foliage in spandrels, shaped shelves with bead and reel enrichment and panels below with carved drops. Left-hand ground-floor room: C18 fireplace with bolection-moulded stone architrave and wooden surround consisting of tapered pilasters with carved fruit drops, cornucopia in frieze and carved cornice. Right-hand front room: C18 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and cornice. Panelled shutters throughout. The owner (April 1986) possesses drawings of work at the house dated 1877 and photographs taken during the alterations of c.1932-9. The photographs show a large late C19 wing adjoining to the south-east in a similar style to the late C19 work still surviving to the north. Richard Norman Shaw designed the Chapel of the Epiphany (q.v.) for Francis Stanier and therefore might also have been responsible for work at the house. The 1930's work involved the demolition of the south-east wing, the reworking of the north-east front (see new brickwork) and the 2-bay addition to the south-west front. The house stands in landscaped grounds, with a lake to the east and The Chapel of The Epiphany (q.v.) to the west. B.O.E., p . 226; Ed. Peter Reid, Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II, Herefordshire Shropshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, pp. 108-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6386524642

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980), 108-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 63865 24642

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 01:41:43.