List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT WITH ST BARNABAS AND ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1366078

Location

CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT WITH ST BARNABAS AND ST MATTHEW, KING SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 369056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ323182NW KING SQUARE 635-1/70/541 (East side) 29/12/50 Church of St Clement with St Barnabas and St Matthew

II

Anglican church, 1822-26 by Thomas Hardwick, the body of the church rebuilt in 1953 by Gordon Jackson and Partners and Norman Haines Design Partnership. Stone and yellow brick set in Flemish bond, roof of Welsh slate. Nave and chancel under a single roof, west portico with tower and spire over. Shallow canted full-height central bay to east end; single-storey vestry extension of 1953 to east end; moulded stone cornice extending along north and south walls; rainwater head to left of central bay dated 1822. Five bays to north and south, the westernmost showing the original arrangement of two tiers of windows lighting aisles and galleries, the rest now having single tall round-arched windows; rainwater head in angle of south wall and west front; parapet.The west front consists of a giant Ionic tetrastyle portico in stone with flanking wings in brick; the portico has plain Ionic columns placed before antae, the outer antae engaged; the interior of the portico lined with ashlar in banded rustication and cross-vaulted; stone cornice and blocking course to wings which have round-arched windows set back within a round arch, those to the west now blocked. Balustrade over portico; square central tower in two stages, the upper stage with two re-entrant angles and round-arched openings with louvres; slender octagonal spire. The interior dates from the reconstruction of 1953; vestibule below west gallery; otherwise a single space with massive piers creating a notional division into two-bay chancel, nave and aisles. The piers are flanked by Corinthian columns and there are two more columns fronting but not supporting the gallery. Elaborate plasterwork to the ceiling, in a neo-Classical style. Fine C18 pulpit brought from elsewhere.

Listing NGR: TQ3205782698

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32057 82698

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:00:24.