List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1366042

Location

38, WEST END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityMarch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4196 MARCH WEST END (North Side)

23/49 No. 38 13. 3.51

II*

House. Dated 1626, extended early C19. Local red brick, English bond with low pitch early C19 roof of slate. The kneelers of the 1626 gable end parapet with cut and moulded brickwork are visible at the front right hand. End stacks, the one to the left hand projects and also has cut and moulded brickwork. Two storeys. Front wall has typical thickening of the ground floor wall. Three casements, C20 at first floor. Stone with date 1626 in front wall. Central doorway with C19 raised and fielded panelled door with two small glazed upper panels. Inside: One ground floor room has ovolo moulded joists and particularly fine carving to the soffits of two main beams. The main beam nearest the river is carved with stylised foliage and three male and female mask heads. The other has grotesque heads and fantastic animals. Another room has C18 raised and fielded panelling to the dado and late C18, shouldered fireplace surround with frieze of festoons and in the centre a pastoral scene of a shepherd, dog and sheep. In the original rear wall of the 1626 house there are two four-light ovolo mullion windows with iron saddle bars. One window has had two mullions removed. The staircase dates from the extension in early C19, open-string with turned newel, square section balusters and scroll tread ends.

Listing NGR: TL4136396820

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 41363 96820

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:46:18.