List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ILDIERNA

List entry Number: 1365628

Location

CHURCH OF ST ILDIERNA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLansallos

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANSALLOS LANSALLOS SX 15 SE

3/33 Church of St Ildierna 21.8.64

GV I

Parish church. Dedicated in 1331. Nave and chancel possibly of date of dedication. 3-bay north aisle to north of east end of nave and chancel may comprise part of earlier masonry of north transept in west wall. North aisle probably late C15. Circa mid C15 6-bay south aisle. 2 stage west tower probably C15 reusing some C14 masonry. Third stage probably added in later C15. South porch added to south aisle in circa late C15. Restored in 1883-4 and in early C20 by E.H. Sedding. Sedding noted that reused wrought stonework taken from Norman arcade had been built into the north and south walls of the present structure. Coursed stonework to south aisle, north aisle, south porch and lower 2 stages of west tower. Upper stage of stone rubble. Several straight joints in north aisle partly where masonry from earlier north transept was used and partly where rood-loft projection has been removed. Rag slate roof to nave, chancel and north aisle. Regular slate roof to south aisle. Nave and chancel in one, projecting at the east end beyond the 6-bay south aisle and 3-bay north aisle. South aisle with 5 original Perpendicular traceried windows in south wall. 3-light openings with 4-centred arches and hoodmoulds. Top lights renewed. Perpendicular west window of south aisle renewed in C19 and east window restored. Chancel and east window of north aisle C19 Perpendicular tracery. North aisle with door in low rectangular surround with moulded flat 4-centred arch with incised spandrels. Simple, possibly C16 3-light window to west with round-headed lights and simple traceried lights above. To west, 3-light rectangular window with chamfered mullions. and moulded jambs. West end of north aisle altered with re-worked window high in gable end. To west, north wall of nave with two 3-light Perpendicular windows in rectangular surrounds. West window renewed and east window with cusped heads to lights. West tower of 3-stages with stepped angle buttresses, with carved panels at base and battlemented parapet with turrets and crocketted finials. West door in rectangular surround with heavy roll mould. Possibly renewed or restored. Renewed 3-light Perpendicular window above with 4-centred arch. Directly above, niche with grotesque on corbelled base. Possibly C14 ogee headed opening above. 3-light Perpendicular belfry openings with 4-centred arches and slate louvres. Gabled south porch with cavetto moulded 3-centred arch. Holy water stoup on east wall of reused stone. South door with heavily moulded 4-centred arched opening. Oak door of double construction. Interior Circa C15 unstained waggon roofs of high quality. Waggon roof to nave with carved transverse ribs with 2 unmoulded ribs between. Carved longitudinal ribs, arcade and wallplates. Bosses partly restored. Chancel with C20 boarded ceiling to roof. Finely carved longitudinal and transverse ribs and north arcade plate. Bosses restored. South aisle with moulded transverse ribs with 3 plain ribs between. Carved longitudinal ribs decorated with scroll work. Interlaced carving on arcade and wallplates, probably originally decorated with shields. Similar interlaced carving to longitudinal and transverse ribs at east end of south aisle. North aisle carved transverse ribs with 3 unmoulded ribs between. Carved longitudinal ribs, arcade and wall plates and bosses which have been partly restored. South porch also with fine waggon roof with moulded and carved longitudinal and transverse ribs. Carved wallplate with mostly renewed bosses. 3-bay north arcade with 4-centred arches with concave and convex moulding. Granite type A (Pevsner) piers. Second pier from east with carved capital. 6-bay south arcade with 4-centred arches with concave moulding. Type A (Pevsner) piers with moulded bases and capitals with carved abaci. Tower arch almost 4-centred on corbel responds. 34 particularly fine carved oak bench ends, circa 1490 to 1520, decorated with heraldic arms, figure heads and Renaissance detailing. Remains of rood screen at east end of nave, east end of south aisle and in part of north aisle. Ogee headed lights with Renaissance detailing, carved intertwined foliage and moulded rail. Base of rood loft stair in north wall of north aisle. Square Norman font with panelled sides decorated with Tree of Life and fleur de lis. Circa C18 marble piers at corners. Behind font, remains of earlier font found buried at Higher Town Farm, Lansallos. Remains of altar table, heavily restored with claw and ball feet. Mutilated circa C19 effigies of knight and lady by south door. Probably members of the Hywysch family who were Lords living at the fortified manor house of Raphael (qv). Memorials Ledgerstone remounted on south wall of south aisle. To Margery Smith, died 1579. Signed by Peter Crocker. Shallow relief of woman in farthingale, pointed stomacher and ruff. The kirtle is decorated with incised patterns heraldic arms and marginal inscription. Several C18 and C19 memorials and ledger stones, some set in east end of slate flag floor. Cracked bell resited at west end of church inscribed 'Sancta Margareta ora pro nobis'. Heraldic shields. William of Worcester in circa 1478 suggested that St Hildern, Bishop, was buried before the high altar. No evidence of this has been revealed in archaelogical excavations. The church of St Ildierna is of particular high standard with very fine waggon roofs, carved bench ends, memorial by Peter Crocker, Norman font and C14 mutilated carved figures of the Hywysch family. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd ed. 1970 Tompsett, Rev Aubrey An account of Lansallos Parish Church Illustration of font in Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall, 1909, plate LXXXV, p 201-2

Listing NGR: SX1728851648

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909), 201-2
Tompsett, A, An Account of Lansallos Parish Church

National Grid Reference: SX 17242 51589

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 09:41:37.