List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLS, TOWERS AND GATEWAY ENCLOSING WHITACRE HALL

List entry Number: 1365199

Location

WALLS, TOWERS AND GATEWAY ENCLOSING WHITACRE HALL, DOG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityNether Whitacre

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETHER WHITACRE DOG LANE SP29SW (North side) 5/95 Walls, towers and gateway 11/11/52 enclosing Whitacre Hall (Formerly listed as Whitacre Hall including moat walls, tower and gatehouse)

GV II*

Walls, towers and gateway. Probably an early C16 remodelling of an earlier medieval site, with a gateway of circa 1600. Later alterations. The walls and towers are of coursed sandstone rubble and the gateway is built of red brick with a plain tile roof. The rectangular site is surrounded by a moat and the walls act as a revetment to the inner bank and rise approximately 3 feet above ground level. A square open backed tower projects from each corner except the north-east. Each has a chamfered plinth and a small rectangular loop to each side. They were all formerly capped by brick crenellations but only those to the south-east tower are well preserved. The gateway is in the centre of the south side. A round-headed entrance arch with ovolo-moulded surround is set within a square headed recess with ovolo and ogee-moulded surround. The recess has a timber lintel with ovolo-moulding and there is a shaped gable above which was formerly capped by a finial, the base for which remains. Nail studded gate containing an opening for a wicker gate. To the rear is a timber-framed gable: the tie beam has ogee- and ovolo-mouldings and a carved trail of oak leaves. In the panels above are quatrefoil shapes and oak leaf motifs. To each side of the gate-house is an ornamental loop. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p360; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, 1965, pp251-5)



Listing NGR: SP2413793674

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 251-255
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 360

National Grid Reference: SP 24137 93674

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 08:50:32.