List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1365184

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityAustrey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309236

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AUSTREY CHURCH LANE SK2ONE (North Side) 2/3

22/07/53

GV ll*

Church. Early C14 but with late C13 tower. Restored, chancel refaced and porch rebuilt 1844-45 by Ewan Christian. Grey sandstone ashlar. Slate roofs have moulded coped gable parapets with trefoiled gablet kneelers. Aisled nave, chancel; west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded plinths, buttresses of 2 offsets and moulded sill courses throughout. Chancel has angle and central buttresses. 4-light east window and 2-light side windows have geometrical tracery of 1844-45. Host openings throughout have hood moulds, mainly with return stops. Eastern windows are shorter than the western. North side has [it flue on moulded corbel just below the string course, with gablet and trefoil vents. Moulded south doorway with studded door. Nave has 4-bay clerestory with cusped Y-tracery. Lean-to aisles have angle and side buttresses with gablet and offset, 3-light east windows have cusped intersecting tracery with 3. moulded orders with outer shafts and inner triple shafts, and hood mould. 2-bay arched brace roof, Doorway inside of 3 continuous moulded orders with hood mould and studded door. North and south windows of 3 stepped cusped lancets with pierced spandrels. Blocked north doorway of 2 moulded orders. Blocked west windows. Tower of 2 stages has double splay plinth and splay course. Massive north-east, south-east and western angle buttresses of 3 offsets with goblets. Moulded west doorway with studded door. Second stage has small lancet. Bell chamber has 2-light openings with geometrical tracery and hood mould with head slaps. Frieze of trefoiled arches with heads between. Broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Finial with weathervane. North side is similar, but has no lancet. South side has moulded lancet to first stage. Second stage has window below bell chamber with similar tracery, but with moulded octagonal shafts above and below a central transom; the lower shaft has been removed. Clock face below bell chamber opening. Interior has whitewashed chancel and plastered nave and aisles. Chancel has iii arched brace roof. Tall chancel arch and 4-bay arcades of 3 chamfered and moulded orders, and piers of quatrefoil section with very thin shafts and octagonal bases, and hood moulds. Tower arch of 2 segmental pointed outer arches and inner arch, with head corbel 5. Nave has Cl9 cusped king post roof with arched braces to tie beams. South aisle has piscina. Fittings are >ins+ly of 1844-45. Reredos has texts in gabled panels. Octagonal pulpit. Wall monument: north aisle north wall; John, Thomas and Herbert Monck, erected 1706, Double break-front form with open segmental pediment and winged head, cartouche and flaming urns, marble panel and predella with winged skull. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p79; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp10-12)

Listing NGR: SK2957906282

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 10-12
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 79

National Grid Reference: SK 29579 06282

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 07:35:35.