List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF MEREVALE ABBEY

List entry Number: 1365173

Location

REMAINS OF MEREVALE ABBEY, MEREVALE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMerevale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEREVALE MEREVALE LANE SP29NE (South-east side) 1/122 Remains of Merevale Abbey 23/11/51 (Formerly listed as Remains of Merevale Abbey in garden of farm) GV II* Abbey ruins. C13. Regular coursed sandstone. The remains consist principally of the north and south walls of the Refectory. The north wall rises to approximately 6 metres high on the left. 10 bar-stop-chamfered buttresses have moulded plinth and gablets. The wall drops to about 1.25 metres high. On the right is another large section of wall surrounding the elaborately moulded portal to the transept, of 3 orders with remains of nook-shafts. Beyond is a smaller, simpler archway of 2 chamfered orders; a section of curved wall to the right, probably largely rebuilt, is attached to Abbey Farmhouse (q.v.). Inside, the portal has a round arch and hood mould. To the right the wall has a high dado and 6 closely-set attached shafts with moulded bases and fillets; some retain moulded capitals. South wall has high splay and moulded plinth and remains of buttresses to left and right. Slight projection containing reading pulpit and staircase is approximately 4 metres high. Low section of wall to right. Inside is a moulded doorway with hood mould, the stone staircase with 2 quatrefoil peep-holes, and traces of 2 shafts of the pulpit. Merevale Abbey was a Cistercian house founded in 1148 by Robert, Earl Ferrers. Scheduled ancient monument. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p351; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p143)

Listing NGR: SP2922797783

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 143
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 351

National Grid Reference: SP 29227 97783

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 08:33:43.