List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASTLEY CASTLE

List entry Number: 1365144

Location

ASTLEY CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityAstley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

SP38NW 8/15 11/11/52

ASTLEY Astley Castle

GV II*

Country house, originally a fortified house. C13 and C14 origins; C15, mid C16 and early C17; remodelled c.1820. Regular coursed and ashlar sandstone; some timber framing and brick to rear. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet throughout. Front range has no roof; rear range has early C19 low-pitched slate roof. Large embattled stone central stack; C16/C17 and C19 brick ridge, valley and lateral stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 6-window range. Fifth bay has porch restored or added early C19, with moulded doorway and embattled parapet. Left return side has Tudor-arched window. Chamfered shallow Tudor-arched doorway with plank door inside. Chamfered stone mullioned windows are mostly C19. Four-light window in reduced C16/C17 opening above porch. First and second bays have 4-light windows to ground floor. First floor has C16/C17 mullioned and transomed window, and straight-headed 4-light window with Curvilinear tracery. 3 early C19 French windows have moulded 4-centred arches and fanlights with blind Gothick tracery. 2 large 3-light Gothick windows above have 4-centred arches and single hood mould with block stops. Straight joint between fifth and sixth bays. Sixth bay has 3-light recessed mullioned windows. Left return side is a 2-bay range with 2 large buttresses. First bay has 4-light wood mullioned and transomed window, and C19 mullioned window above. Second bay has fragments of 4-light window to first floor; wall above has fallen away. Right return side is mostly rendered, and has 3 gables. Right range is of C19 brick. Irregular rear has large 2-bay right range with embattled parapet. Ground floor is hidden by curtain wall (q.v.). Central external stone stack has upper part and star shaft of thin bricks; square top of C19 brick. Similar shaft to right. 3-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows; tall left window has 2 transoms. Shallow projection to left has chamfered 4-centred lancet. Blocked Tudor-arched opening below and to right of right window. Lower irregular 2-window range to left has some timber framing with brick infill to first floor. 2 doors, C19 brick one-window addition has dentil cornice. Mullioned windows and casements. Interior not inspected. The building is derelict and little more than a shell. Licence to crenellate at Astley was obtained in 1266. Elizabeth Woodville lived at Astley Castle before her marriage to Edward IV. It was also the home of Sir Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk, and Lady Jane Grey. Behind the apparently early 19th century French windows in the centre of the east range are 3 15th century arched windows, the tracery heads surviving internally. This may have been the floored hall at the centre of the build, with ground and first floor fireplaces. To the west of the hall is the 15th century tower vice running to third storey or roof level. The 2 bays to the north have on second and attic floors, timber-framed penthouses which may have formed a long gallery. The 2 bays to the south form a 17th century solar wing, medieval service rooms and curtain wall are reported at south west.

(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p75; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol.VI, pl5)

Listing NGR: SP3115989484

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 15
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 75

National Grid Reference: SP 31162 89485

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:14:45.