List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1365141

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, NUNEATON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityAnsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309093

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ANSLEY NUNEATON ROAD SP29SE (South side) Church End 4/5 Church of St. Lawrence 25/03/68 GV II* Church. Mid/late C12; tower and clerestory added late C15; chancel lengthened mid C18; late C19/early C20 porch; north aisle added 1913. Restored 1894 and 1902. Red sandstone ashlar; western part of chancel of coursed rubble. Porch has upper part of timber framing with rendered infill. Chancel and porch have plain-tile roofs; aisle has slate roof; nave roof is hidden by parapet. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, west tower. Mainly Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets, and east pediment with hipped roof rising taller and steeper behind. Small quatrefoil east window in moulded roundel. Chancel and nave have C12 pilaster buttresses. South side of chancel has blocked Gothick doorway with moulded ogee arch. Central buttress. Western part has C14 two-light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould with head stops to each side. Blocked doorway has hood mould. Trefoiled south west lancet. North side has re-set C15 three-light window with intersecting tracery in eastern part. Western half has imitation ashlar render, 2-light window and straight-headed C14 low-side window. Porch has fretted barge boards and 4-centre arched double-leaf doors. Simple C12 doorway inside has round arch with imposts and C18 plank door. Nave has 3-light south windows; the eastern is C15, with a 4-centred arch; the western is late C15, with a Tudor arch. Clerestory of 3 straight-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights to each side. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with 2 gargoyles and the remains of another, and a crocketed pinnacle above the porch. Similar pinnacle to north-east corner. East gable of earlier roof rises above parapet. North aisle has lean-to roof with lead flat to upper part; topmost sections of east and west parapets are treated as flying buttresses. 3-light east window, with a version of Perpendicular tracery. North side has re-set C12 doorway of 2 orders, the inner a plain arch with imposts, the outer a roil moulding and nook shafts with fluted capitals, and an ancient plank door with strap hinges. Re-set C13 lancet to east; 3-light window to west. 3-light traceried mullioned west window. Large tower has plinth with 2 hallow mouldings, and full-height diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. West doorway of 3 moulded orders has late C19 Gothic traceried fanlight and half-glazed door. 3-light west window. Door and window have hood moulds with lion's head stops. Small chamfered rectangular opening about half way up on each side. 2-light Tudor-arched bell openings have transoms, hood moulds and louvres. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet, with plain C18 pinnacles. Wrought-iron weather-vane. Interior is plastered. Eastern half of chancel has roved cornice with frieze of alternating gilded heads and Tudor flower, deep coved ceiling with moulded panel and central roundel with dove in high relief. Plain round arch, with jambs forming pedestals of 2 monuments. Western part of chancel has panelled ceiling, and part of a blocked C12 window. C12 chancel arch of 2 roll and hollow-moulded orders with hood mould. The inner order has plain jambs; north abacus is carved with a man being eaten by 2 monsters. The outer order has nook-shafts with capitals of volutes and flutes or upright leaves; the north capital is damaged, the south appears to have been restored. The nave has a very shallow-pitched Perpendicular roof with moulded tie beams, braces and purlins, and gilded carved bosses; a timber is dated 1786. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. S-bay north arcade of 1913 is of 2 orders, with round piers-and octagonal capitals; arches without responds. Aisle has C12 arch with nail-head ornament, but without jambs, re-set in north wall. Mid C18 fittings: reredos of 2 black and gilded Tuscan columns has open semi-circular pediment with winged head at apex, tympanum with inscription I/H/S pierced so that light from the east window shines through, and C17/C18 painting. Communion rail of semi-oval plan, with column balusters. 2-tier fielded panelled chancel stalls with H-hinges. Some adapted fielded panelled pew-ends. Late C19 fittings: elaborate traceried octagonal wood pulpit. Carved octagonal stone font with granite clustered shaft. Stained glass: chancel north window: jumbled medieval fragments. Monuments: chancel has monuments placed on the pedestals of the central arch. North: James Ludford 1699 and John Ludford, erected 1700. A large black pedestal with inscription and cartouches of arms to east and west, and white marble urn with cartouche and heads. South: Samuel Bracebridge Ludford 1727, erected 1761. White marble pedestal with moulded sunk panels, and urn with cartouche and phoenix. Wall monuments: chancel east wall, north of reredos: John Bracebridge Ludford 1775 and family. A Gothic design probably early C19. South of reredos: John Newdigate Ludford 1825, erected 1829. White marble panel with segmental pediment, and a draped sarcophagus below. By William Hollins of Birmingham. Chancel north: Elizabeth Ludford 1741. Panel framed by pilaster strips with drapery, urn finials, 2 winged heads and a section of segmental pediment. 3 hatchments on nave south wall. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p66; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p7)

Listing NGR: SP2901392637

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 7
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 66

National Grid Reference: SP 29013 92637

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 09:55:28.