List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1365128

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMaxstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/103 Church of St. Michael and All 08/09/61 Angels GV II* Church. Early C14, C18 and mid C19. Squared and irregularly coursed sandstone. Plain-tiled roof. Nave and chancel under continuous roof. West wall has a window of 2 trefoil lights with reticulated tracery to the head in 2-centred chamfered arch. Embattled bell turret, C19, of sandstone ashlar. West doorway, C15. Hollow moulding to 4-centred arch. South wall, 3 windows each of 2 trefoil lights with reticulated tracery in chamfered 2-centred arch. East window of 4 trefoil lights with reticulated tracery to 2-centred chamfered arch with label and mask stops. North wall has similar fenestration and a doorway in a 2-centred chamfered arch, now blocked. Interior: C18 coved ceiling and modillion cornice. Galleried west end on Doric columns of stone. Panelled parapet with dentil cornice. Font is C18. Stone. Round bowl on baluster stem. Pulpit, C18. Square with chamfered corners on later base. Sides with inlay. Chest, C17. Oak with iron fittings. Possibly the chancel to a planned chapel ante portas of the priory of Augustinian Canons founded by William de Clinton in 1336. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p350)

Listing NGR: SP2359286863

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 350

National Grid Reference: SP 23592 86863

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 03:38:48.