List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1365052

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNuneaton and BedworthDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308597

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH HIGH STREET SP38NE (West side) Bedworth 5/57 Church of All Saints 01/07/49 - II*

Church. C14/C15 tower. Remainder of church rebuilt 1888-1890. Designed by G.F. Bodley and T. Garner. Tower of local sandstone ashlar. Remainder of red Runcorn sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs have parapets with moulded cornices and coped gable parapets, with gablet kneelers to porches. Aisled nave, chancel, south chancel chapel, north vestries, north transept, north and south porches, west tower. Perpendicular style. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded plinth throughout. Chancel has large east buttresses of 2 offsets and large gablets. Large 5-light window with Tudor flower decoration, moulded sill course and hood mould. Cross finial. North vestries are of 2 storeys to east. 2 straight-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights. 3-light segmental-pointed window above. Shallow-pitched gable. Embattled octagonal turret in angle of chancel. North side has small chamfered doorway with hood mould and plank door. Straight-headed window above and to left and larger window west of buttress are of 2 lights with reticulated tracery. North transept has buttresses of 2 offsets to north west and south west corners. 4-light window. Gable has pinnacle. Return sides have embattled parapets. 4-bay north aisle has 2 buttresses with gablets. North west porch has diagonal buttresses. Doorway has continuous chamfered outer order and moulded inner order with half-octagonal responds, and hood mould. Mid C20 part-glazed doors to both porches. Three 2-light windows. 3-light west windows to both aisles. South aisle and chancel chapel in one. 4-light east and 3-light south east windows are straight-headed with reticulated tracery. South west porch has angle buttresses with gablets and doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Aisle has buttresses and two 2-light windows. Nave gable has gablet kneelers and turret with ogee gables, pinnacles and spirelet. Tower of one large stage. Moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets. Low west doorway of 2 chamfered orders has hood mould and C19 studded 6-panelled door. 3-light west window has restored tracery. Small straight-headed opening above. Large 2-light bell-chamber openings have transom and louvres. To west upper part is covered by a square slate clock-face in moulded sandstone frame, probably early C19. East side has similar clock-face dated 1817 in Gothick surround. Segmental-arched opening below. Embattled parapet with small pinnacles. Interior is plastered. Arches of 2 chamfered orders have responds and half-shafts between each bay with moulded capitals. Chancel has north and south arches, and small low chamfered arches. North side has large internal mullioned window with king mullion and central transom, trefoiled lights and hood mould. Chancel and nave have arched brace roofs. Chancel arch of 3 orders, the outer segmental pointed. 5-bay arcades have continuous hood moulds. Tower arch of 2 chamfered segmental pointed arches. Aisles have segmental-pointed doorways. Arches to chapels. North chapel, now vestry, has coved timber east gallery with traceried balustrade. Large east opening onto it has elaborate timber tracery. Fittings: traceried reredos, sanctuary panelling, altar rails, stalls and octagonal pulpit. Octagonal front. Rood screen of 1929. North vestry screen of 1933. Stained glass: east window 1890. Monuments: chancel south wall: Elizabeth Howlett 1776. John Howlett 1820; signed Seager, Coventry. Simple architectural frames and panels. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol VI, p29; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p89; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p32)

Listing NGR: SP3592786919

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 29
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 89
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1894), 32

National Grid Reference: SP 35927 86919

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:44:13.