List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1364769

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityPillerton Hersey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PILLERTON HERSEY SP2948 11/50 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 13/10/66

GV II*

Church. Mid C13 and C15. C19 additions and restoration. Squared, coursed limestone and ironstone dressings, and ironstone top stages of tower. Tile roof with stone coped gable to chancel and to C19 north aisle. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays, with plinth, offset angle buttresses, string course below windows and coped parapet. C19 vestry attached to north. To east a mid C13 triple-lancet window, the central lancet wider than those to either side. Chamfered and hollow chamfered surrounds. Plate tracery with quatrefoil piercing above central lancet. To either side of window a shaft with blank pointed arch. To south a C19 plank door. Its surround has shafts at angles with 2 more to either side. Many-moulded arch and hood mould with stiff-leaf label stops. Immediately to left a small lancet with blank pointed arch and moulded surround. Pointed lancets, 2 to south and 3 to north, have double chamfered surrounds and hood moulds. C19 vestry in Early English style with diagonal buttresses and 2-lancet window with plate tracery. Nave of 3 bays. South aisle c.1400, rebuilt C19, of 2 bays with offset buttresses, plinth and coped parapet. To left a plank door with many-moulded surround and pointed arch. To right, and to east and west ends a C19 three-light window in the Perpendicular style with hood moulds and label stops. North aisle of 3 bays is dated 1845 and has plinth, buttresses and coped parapet. String course below windows. 3 Early English style lancets with chamfered surrounds. 3-lancet window to east, and 2-lancet window to west. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. Tower of 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses, plinth, string coursed and battlemented parapet with finials to corners. C13, altered and heightened C15. To west a plank door within many moulded, pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. C15 two-light window above with cusped lights, chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. Small stair turret light to south, with chamfered surround. To south of second stage a pointed light with chamfered surround and hood mould. One-handed clock above. Bell chamber stage has C15 two-light windows, that to west renewed. Chamfered surrounds, slate louvres, hood moulds and label stops. Incised in walls of church are simple sundials. Interior: east window lancets have shafted surrounds, with stiff-leaf capitals, the whole window with double shafted surround. Window surrounds are moulded at angles. String course below. C13 double piscina with central shaft. Cl3 chancel arch piers are flanked by smaller shafts. Double hollow chamfered pointed arch with hood mould. South nave arcade of 2 bays, rebuilt C19. C19 north arcade of 3 bays in Early English style. Chancel arch with chamfered piers, capitals and arch. Chamfered surround. Chancel has hammerbeam roof, C16 or C17. Low-pitched C15 nave roof with arch-braced trusses, the tie beams, purlins and principal rafters moulded. Many carved bosses. Moulded stone corbels. C19 aisle roofs, that to north imitating chancel. East window has green-tinted glass. Reset roundel in south aisle is dated 1514. Coat of arms of George III painted on south aisle wall. C18 chamber organ with pilasters and pediment. C18 and C19 memorials in porch walls. Medieval chest in porch. C17 bells. C19 and C20 fittings, including carved altar rails, reading desk and reredos. Thin-shafted font cover by Canon Staley, and presented in 1927, (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.371-2; V.C.H.: Warwichshire, pp.134-5).

Listing NGR: SP2989748861

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 134-5
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SP2989748861

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:15:29.