List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1364715

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityChesterton and Kingston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307048

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTERTON AND KINGSTON CHESTERTON SP35NE 5/54 Church of St. Giles 30/05/67 GV II*

Church. C12 origins. Early C13 nave, chancel and tower, possibly lengthened late C14. Late C15 roof and nave south wall and porch. Upper part of tower c.1600. Restored 1862. Chancel tower and nave north wall of squared coursed white limestone; tower has contrasting limestone dressings. Nave north wall and porch of limestone ashlar; nave wall has some ironstone. Lead roofs with embattled parapets. Porch has old tile roof. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Decorated and Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Long, low and narrow, with only slight differentiation between chancel and nave. C19 three-light east window with head stops. Hood moulds. Gable parapet has cross finial. South priest's doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. North and south windows have restored cusped Y-tracery. North side has angle and other buttresses. South porch has moulded basket arch doorway. C17/C18 painted sundial above. Stone seats. Decorated south doorway of 2 moulded orders with wide band between of large ballflowers and running trail. Splayed plinth and angle buttresses. C19 double-leaf door. 3 late Perpendicular straight headed windows of 3 hollow chamfered Tudor-arched lights. Early C15 sculptured panel above porch, probably of the Adoration of the Magi, has moulded frame and 3 panels with ogee canopies and headless figures; fourth panel missing; probably originally part of a reredos. North side has 4 buttresses, much patched with brick. 3-light Perpendicular north-east window. Decorated north-west window has curvilinear tracery. Low bricked-up north door. Tower of 2 stages has massive diagonal buttresses of 3 offsets to first stage. Moulded string course. Low moulded west doorway with C19 plank door. Basket-arched window above. Tudor arched south window. Second stage has quoins. Bell openings of paired chamfered segmental-arched lights. Embattled parapet with moulded cornice. Interior: chancel and west end plastered. Chancel has Decorated piscina with nodding ogee head, ribs and carved boss. Restored low-pitched Perpendicular roof of 9 bays has moulded tie beams, curved braces, and purlins, and colonnette wall-posts on stone corbels. Nave, now extended into chancel, with screen positioned east of priest's door. Nave has painted piscina with ogee arch. Fittings: C13 tapering cylindrical font with moulded base and short stem. Late C19/C20 Perpendicular style screen. Mid C19 pews. Stained glass; nave north east window has C15 fragments. East window 1862 by O'Connor. Monuments: nave south west: Sir Humphrey Peyto 1585 and Anna Peyto. Painted alabaster chest tomb with effigies, balusters and shields of arms, and 2 back panels of children. West: Edward Peyto 1643 and Elizabeth Peyto by John Stone. White marble busts in aedicule with Corinthian columns and half-columns and cartouche of arms within the pediment. North west: William Peyto 1619 and his wife 1636. By Nicholas Stone 1639. White marble busts in large niche with cartouche, within aedicule of composite pilasters and pediment containing a small segmental pediment. It cost £150. Both monuments are very fine. Floor slab: Edward Peyto 1658. Large black slab with carved coat of arms. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.45-46; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.230-231).

Listing NGR: SP3571158240

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 45-46
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 230-231

National Grid Reference: SP 35711 58240

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 02:35:33.