List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1364574

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, LIMEKILN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityChute Forest

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 312306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHUTE FOREST LIMEKILN ROAD SU 35 SW 10/98 Church of St Mary 8.5.72 II*

Redundant parish church. 1875, by J.L. Pearson for Fowle family. Knapped flint with brick strings and dressings, tiled roofs. Nave with aisles and south-west porch, chancel with tall vestry at right angles on north side, and tower with spire at east end of south aisles. Gabled porch with stone inner chamfered order on impost columns, and hoodmould. Short lancets to aisles, also with inner stone frame, and similar lancets to chancel. Triple equal east and west lancets, the west having a quatrefoil over. Flush brick mid wall band and chequer pattern above a higher string. Tower of 3 stages, unbuttressed. Tall twin bell openings in stepped brick reveals. Pyramidal spire over slight corbel table. Interior door studded. Interior: Exposed tuck pointed brick with blue brick patterning. Nave and chancel in one, divided by brick transverse pointed arches on varied stone corbels, the arches continued as lower arches over aisles. Arcade of 2 bays to narrow aisles, single bay to chancel and blind arcades to sanctuary. Roof open trussed rafters, with braces to lower arcade plates carried on the transverse arches. High collars. Windows have wide brick embrasures and rere-arches. Chancel floor raised and paved with encaustic tiles, and 3 steps to altar table. Stone bench sedilia and attached vessel table. Carved Portland stone reredos of Christ and Evangelists, quatrefoils below. Vestry has north window and external door. Two vestment cupboards. Fittings: Font, octagonal on a series of small attached shafts. Pulpit, on left, also stone, bold panelling, and steps with parapet. Readers' desks, choir stalls and nave pews contemporary. Bells removed to St Nicholas, Upper Chute (q.v.). Glass: East window by Clayton and Bell, 1914. West windows 1914, in different style. Monuments: At west end. Gilded slate lozenge tablet, to Capt Frank G. Fowle, died 1942. An important and unaltered building by an eminent C19 architect.

Listing NGR: SU3089152060

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 30891 52060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 12:47:37.