List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST KATHERINE AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1364257

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST KATHERINE AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityEdington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313780

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EDINGTON EDINGTON VILLAGE ST 95 SW (north side) 5/142 Church of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints 11.9.68 GV I Priory church and Anglican parish church. 1352-61 for William of Edington, Bishop of Winchester. 1888-91 restoration by C.E. Ponting. Limestone ashlar, lead roofs and rainwater goods. Aisled cruciform church with south porch. Three-storey porch with diagonal buttresses and moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould, 2- light square-headed window with cusped lights to first floor and tall 2-light to second floor, sides have single and 2-light chamfered lights, battlemented parapet and pair of ashlar octagonal stacks to roof, polygonal stair turret attached to north west angle. South aisle has 3-light segmental-headed window with cusped lights to left and four the same to right of porch. Battlemented parapets to all roofs. Clerestory has six 3-light segmental-headed cusped windows. South transept has tall 2-light pointed Perpendicular window to west, polygonal stair turret with sundial on south-west angle, 3-light pointed Perpendicular window to south and east sides, ogee-shaped gable behind the parapet, angle buttress on south-east corner carried up to pinnacle. South side of chancel has three 3-light Perpendicular windows and segmental-headed priest's door, large buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, cornice to parapet has fine gargoyles, large 5-light Perpendicular east window, north side has three 3-light windows and central blocked doorway with cusped canopy. North transept has doorway and 3-light window to east, crocketed angle buttresses, 3- light window to north with four C17 shell-headed niches below, polygonal stair turret to north west angle, tall 2-light window to west, evidence of former monastic buildings against north side of transept and aisle. North aisle has large Tudor-arched doorway to left, six 3-light segmental-headed windows high on wall to right. Six similar windows to clerestory. West end has pair of doors with cusped heads and Perpendicular blind tracery over; large 8- light Perpendicular window over, aisles have 2-light windows with geometric Decorated tracery. Crossing tower has polygonal stair turret on south-west angle, string course to bellstage with 2-light geometric Decorated louvred windows, battlemented parapet. Interior: Lierne-vaulted porch ceiling on attached shafts, stone benches, ribbed door to stairs, moulded pointed inner doorway. Nave has original 6-bay kingpost roof with C17 cusped plaster panels. Six-bay arcades with moulded pointed arches on compound piers, restored lean-to aisle roofs. Consecration crosses on interior walls. South transept has 2-bay king-post roof with cusping, narrow stairs door, fine C15 Baynton monument against south wall. Lady chapel in north transept has plaster ceiling with cusped panels in nave, dated 1663, cusped piscina and crocketed niche, C17 reredos and communion rails. Crossing has late C18 plaster fan-vault on wide pointed arches, marble floor. Early C16 screen and loft to chancel, east side and top restored by Ponting. Chancel has 1789 plaster ceiling, crocketed image niches on walls; only two retain statues, crocketed south doorway, partly damaged 3-seat sedilia and piscina on south wall. Fine C17 communion rail with dogbars and strapwork. Other fittings: C15 octagonal stone font base in north aisle reset with C19 marble bowl and plinth, C17 cover; on C19 mosaic floor. C17 pulpit with tester and 1890s stairs in C18 style. Pews c1890. C18 brass candelabra throughout. C14 stained glass retained in clerestory windows and east window of Lady Chapel, some C19 glass in chancel. some fittings from Imber Church of St Giles: altar in north aisle, 1639 Royal Arms and two C14 effigies of knights, one in cusped ogee niche, now in south aisle. 1852 benefactions board in north aisle. Monuments: Collection of C18 and C19 marble wall tablets in Lady Chapel include several to Long family of Baynton House (q.v.). In chancel is grey marble monument by Chantrey to Sir Simon Taylor died 1815 and fine Lewis monument erected by Lady Anne Beauchamp to Sir Edward Lewis died 1632. C15 Cheney monument occupies a bay in the south arcade. William of Edington founded a chantry here in 1351, the foundation was transferred to the Bonhommes in 1358. The church is one of the most important examples of early Perpendicular. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; K.J. Rogers, Guide to Church, 1980)

Listing NGR: ST9263453311

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Rogers, K D - Title: Guide to the Church of St Mary St Katherine and All Saints - Date: 1980
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pugh, RB and Crittall, E - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire - Date: 1965 - Volume: 8
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Wiltshire - Date: 1975

National Grid Reference: ST 92641 53314

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:03:49.