List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TONBRIDGE CASTLE

List entry Number: 1363369

Location

TONBRIDGE CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178646

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Tonbridge Castle 1. 1732

TQ 5946 NW 3/1 8.5.50. TQ 5846 NE 4/1

I

2. The property and offices of Tonbridge Urban District Council. Of the Norman Motte and Bailey the mound, surmounted by a few stones and containing the well, now mostly filled up. This is surrounded by the moat on the north and west sides which connects with the river Medway on the south. Of the C13 curtain wall surrounding the Keep, there survive a portion immediately to the east connecting the mound of the Keep with the Gateway, a small section to the south east of the Council Offices and a long portion on the south fronting the Medway of which the top has been made into a walk in the grounds of the Castle on account of the difference in levels to the north and south of this. Between the first section of the curtain wall mentioned above and the Council Offices is the Gate-house, built in 1230-1260. This is of sandstone ashlar and consists of a large square building with a wide carriage arch through it with 4 circular towers at its angles. High pointed arch with its head recessed in 6 grooves. Within this a lower and less pointed arch with similar head but above the latter a wall almost blocking the space between the heads of the inner and outer arches but leaving a small gap for the lowering of the portcullis with groove below. 3 square holes in the soffit of the inner arch for dropping hot liquid. Embattled parapet above building. Loop lights in flanking towers, and on ground floor of west outer tower an oblique shoot to the dungeons. Within the archway pointed doorways lead to the staircases. The rooms on first floor and hall above this occupy the whole area of the building. The floors have disappeared but the fireplaces remain. On the inner side the gateway is similar but the 2 arches are smaller with another portcullis groove between them and 3 square holes in the soffit of the outer arch. On the first floor above the arch are 3 trefoil-headed lights and on the second floor 2 larger larger pointed windows with the remains of cusping of the tracery. Loop lights in the towers, as on the outer side. To the east of the Gate-house is an L-shaped house built in 1793 and now the Council Offices. Ashlar, the stone taken from various portions of the Castle. The main front faces south. 6 windows. 3 dormers. Windows with segmental heads. Glazing bars missing in the lower half of them. Hipped dormers containing casement windows of 2 pointed lights each. Parapet. Tiled roof. On ground floor immediately adjoining the Gate-house is a large curved bay with parapet over containing 3 large windows; the centre one now converted into a door. This room is the Council Chamber. At the east end is a ground floor addition, probably a conservatory originally, made in the thickness of a further portion of the Castle walls with a parapet over. This ends in rough masonry which was part of the Castle walls. Iris addition has large sash windows with pointed heads, the lower part of one converted into a door. To the east again is part of the rampart. The interior of the building is C19 Gothic. Traces of the fosse of tile Castle can be seen between Stafford Road and High Street. It then followed the course of Bordyke, and remains are visible between this and East Street, now dividing the gardens of the Vicarage and the Cedars, and south of East Street at the south east comer of the garden of Lyons.

Listing NGR: TQ5900346604

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 58974 46602

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:48:45.