List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1362357

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STEET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireFyldeDistrict AuthorityKirkham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183591

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKHAM CHURCH STREET SD 43 SW 9/21 Church of St. Michael 20.9.85

- II*

Anglican church: nave (built on foundations of previous church) by Robert Roper 1823; tower and spire added by Edmund Sharpe 1844; chancel rebuilt probably by Joseph Hansom to make the altar visible from the nave 1853. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Unaisled nave of 6 bays with Early English details. Second bay from west on both sides is occupied by a slightly projecting porch under a gable. All other bays have lancet windows with chamfered reveals set under a continuous hoodmould and between gabled buttresses which are square below, and semi-octagonal above, the offset. The west windows of the aisles have 3-light windows with Perpendicular panel tracery and were therefore probably inserted when the tower was built. This has angle buttresses and is built in 4 stages with a deeply moulded west door, a 4-light window of panelled tracery set above an embattled string course and below a quatrefoil frieze, a plain panel for a clock face, and 2-light belfry openings on each face. The crocketed octagonal spire rises to 150 feet (40 feet more than the roughly contemporary Roman Catholic church of St. John the Evangelist (q.v. under Ribby Road). It has 3 tiers of 2-light lucarnes and is set behind an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and supported by 4 small flying buttresses. The aisled 3-bay chancel has Decorated details in keeping with the 5-light east window) which has reticulated tracery in a deeply moulded reveal (possibly C14). 2-light windows with varied tracery in aisles. Most of the stonework of the east and north walls of the chancel is reused. Interior: Wide nave with flat-panelled ceiling apparently supported on 7 very shallow wooden braces whose spandrels are decorated with quatrefoils; intersection of ribs embellished with gilded leaves and, occasionally, heads. Of the three original galleries only the west one now survives, with a Gothic-panelled front; it is supported on slender cast-iron piers of quatrefoil section and approached up two flights of stairs with open strings and slim turned balusters. Original west door now leads into tower. Richly moulded chancel arch with moulded capitals and filleted shafts. Chancel has aisles (now vestries) closed off by glazed screens with ogee arches and ball flowers. Chancel roof is open with 4 trusses whose braced collars support crown posts and upper collars; three tiers of wind braces; decoration of stencilled flowers. There are several fittings of interest: churchwardens' box pews (east of south door) with Gothic details and poppy heads, dated 1770 on a brass plate which is probably not in situ; C14 tomb recess (in south east corner) with pierced curvilinear tracery; wall tablet above the recess, with Baroque scroll work above a winged skull framing a long epitaph, partly in rhyming couplets, to commemorate Thomas Clifton of Lytham Hall who died in 1688 (though Roman Catholics, the Cliftons leased the rectory lands from Christ Church College, Oxford); another wall tablet nearby, with a medallion representing the Resurrection, commemorates Richard Bradkirk of Bryning Hall (died 1813); mid C18 former entrance to the France family vault (east of north doorway) with a semi-circular arch with moulded architrave and block keystone and leaves in spandrels, set between engaged Ionic columns carrying a broken pediment and a coat of arms within Rococo cresting; two tier brass chandelier (bought in 1725 for 11 gns from Brown of Wigan) suspended over nave.

Listing NGR: SD4270932356

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 42709 32356

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:16:28.