List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER CHAPEL OF ST JOHN AND ATTACHED PRIEST'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1362189

Location

FORMER CHAPEL OF ST JOHN AND ATTACHED PRIEST'S HOUSE, BRECK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireWyreDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 34 SE POULTON-LE-FYLDE BRECK ROAD

Former Chapel of St John 2/1 and attached priest's house

II

Former Roman Catholic chapel and attached priest's house, dated 1813. Brick now rendered slate roof. A rectangular range under one roof hipped at both ends, the chapel of 3 bays and one storey occupying the northern two-thirds of the range; entrance at north end now concealed by unsympathetic brick porch; datestone above inscribed "I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of thy house, and the place where they Glory dwelleth. AD 1813", flanked by 2 semicircular "eye" windows; 3 tall round-headed windows of 2 lights with wooden Y-tracery in each side wall. Interior now partitioned across the middle. Presbytery 2 storeys, originally of 3 symmetrical bays with sashed windows, now partially concealed by ground floor lean-to across door and right window. Though altered, this building retains the form of a pre-Emancipation chapel.

Listing NGR: SD3530940017

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 35309 40017

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 05:25:03.