List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EUXTON PARISH CHURCH

List entry Number: 1362144

Location

EUXTON PARISH CHURCH, WIGAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict AuthorityEuxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Feb-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357641

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE EUXTON WIGAN ROAD



5/124 Euxton Parish Church 17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Euxton Church) GV II*

Church, probably C14 and late medieval (restored), with 1837 chancel. Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. Small aisleless building, with some evidence of early rebuilding (see below, "History"). West front has diagonal buttresses, C19 arched doorway with hoodmould, a datestone over it lettered 1573 IDP (date may be "1513"); above this a C19 stepped R M A° dmi triple-lancet window with hoodmould following the heads, and on the apex of the gable a part-corbelled square bellcote of ashlar (possibly early C18). North side wall has a large buttress in the centre, left of it a low doorway with 2-centred double chamfered arch, and three 2-light windows similarly-arched with cusped tracery; masonry of this wall, incorporating some large dressed blocks, shows evidence of some early alterations. South wall has a similar buttress and 4 similar windows, of which the 1st and 3rd appear to be original; arched tear-line in wall near east end marks position of a former south doorway. Interior: single vessel (plus small C19 chancel); arch-braced kingpost roof (probably C16) with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces (westermost truss is modern copy); south wall has coupled piscina and sedile with moulded round arches and hoodmoulds; north wall incorporates aumbry. History: formerly known as Burgh Chapel, and said to have been built (1513) by Sir Wm. Molyneux (lord of the manor) as chapel-of-ease to Leyland Parish Church; was retained as Molyneux private property (and little-used Catholic chapel) from Reformation until transferred to the Established Church in early C18. (Pevsner: VCH Lancs; A. Hewitson: Our Country Churches and Chapels).

Listing NGR: SD5554318944

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hewitson, A - Title: Our Country Churches and Chapels - Date: 1872
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Lancashire - Date: 1969

National Grid Reference: SD 55543 18944

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 11:25:38.