List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1362115

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, SOUTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict AuthorityBretherton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184278

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRETHERTON SOUTH ROAD SD 42 SE 3/27 Church of St. John the - Baptist GV II

Church, 1840, by Edmund Sharpe; chancel and organ house 1909. Sandstone, shallow pitched slate roof. Nave incorporating porch, west steeple, in simple Gothic style; chancel and organ house in Perpendicular style. Slender west tower with diagonal buttresses, large open 2-centred porch arches on 3 sides, bands on 3 levels, the topmost stepped over a single belfry louvre on each side, stepped parapet, crocketed corner pinnacles, slim octagonal spire. Five-bay buttressed nave has 4 square-headed windows with hoodmoulds, each of 2 cusped lights, and at the west end a gablet over a 2-centred arched doorway with a lancet above (this feature on north side lacking door). Chancel, under higher and steeper roof, 2 bays, two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, and east window of 5 lights with similar tracery. Interior: nave ceiled except at west end which has gallery on 4 slim iron columns with foliated openwork brackets; gallery staircase with closed string, stick balusters, ramped handrail; chancel has wagon roof, and at the junction on the north side half of an arch which dies into the wall but is continued externally on the wall of the organ house (possibly an architectural joke).

Listing NGR: SD4757420432

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 47574 20432

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 07:11:50.