List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL

List entry Number: 1361682

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL, ST JAMES' STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359407

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3489 ST. JAMES' STREET SJ 3589 L1

30/1053 Roman Catholic Church of Saint Vincent de Paul 14.3.75. G.V. II*

Catholic church. 1856-7. Edward Welby Pugin. Stone, with slate roofs. C13 style. 6-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, aisle under lean-to roofs with taller gabled roofs at west end. North aisle has 2 large buttresses projecting through eaves. End bay has gables to north and west sides, 8-light west window. Nave has 4-light clerestory windows. West entrance has paired arched doors under pointed relieving arch; traceried roundel in tympanum. 8-light window. Open traceried iron bellcote with short spire. South aisle contains confessionals and has dormers with spherical triangle windows. West bay similar to that of north aisle. Chancel has 2 tall dormers to sides and 9-light east window. Interior: nave has arcade with angel stops to hoodmoulds; wagon roof on wallpiers: chancel has arcades to flanking chapels, 3 marble altars with reredoses; each chapel has 3 statues in canopied niches. Continuous marble altar rail to chancel and chapels, C19 stained glass to east end.

Listing NGR: SJ3500489347

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35004 89347

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 09:04:29.