List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER

List entry Number: 1361668

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER, SALISBURY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3591 SALISBURY STREET L3

23/1087 Roman Catholic Church of Saint 28.6.52 Francis Xavier

G.V. II*

Catholic church. 1845-9. J. J. Scoles, the Lady Chapel added 1888 by E. Kirby. Stone with slate roof. Geometrical. Name with aisles under separate roofs, short chancel flanked by chapels with Lady chapel to 'SE' (ritual 'W' is actual N). Tower to south west has spire. Aisles have 2-light windows, north aisle has 8 to north , one to west. Nave has 4-light west windows and wheel window above, no clerestory. Tower has set-back buttresses and pointed arched entrances to south. 3-light bell openings and recessed spire behind altered parapet has lucarnes and diapered bands; 4 pinnacles at the angles of tower. Chancel of one bay has canted end with 2-light windows. Lady chapel is of 2 bays with canted corner bays. Buttresses end in pinnacles, 2 light windows; 3-light west window. Interior: Nave has 7-bay arcades on slender marble columns (now painted). Wagon roof with iron ties. Chancel arch. North aisle has trefoil heads to confessional entries. High altar and reredos by S. J. Nicholl of white marble, with arcading and pinnacles. Altar rails of coloured marble. Rood under chancel arch. Caen stone pulpit on south side of nave. Chapels have altars and rerdoses similar to High altar. Elaborate stone font at west end of nave. Lady chapel has apsidal ends to west and east, that to east forming ambulatory with arcade on marble columns. Marble wall snafts and ribbed plaster vault. Tabernacle doors said to be by Conrad Dressler. An important church in the alternative tradition to that of A. W. Pugin, and a good, largely unaltered example of Scoles' work. H. R. Hitchcock, Early Victorian Architecture, 1954, p.90.

Listing NGR: SJ3563691165

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hitchcock, H - Title: Early Victorian Architecture in Britain - Date: 1954 - Page References: 90

National Grid Reference: SJ 35636 91165

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 04:28:50.