List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1361655

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW AND ST JAMES, ROSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359368

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3887 SJ 38 NE 7/1017 38/1017

ROSE LANE, L18 Church of St. Matthew and St. James

14.3.75.

G.V. II*

Church. 1870-75, Paley and Austin. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings, tile roof. Nave with lean-to aisles and north and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower, chancel north organ loft and south chapel and octagonal vestry. Late C.13 style. West end has gabled entrance, no capitals to mouldings, flanked by paired wide niches. Decorative flush work and 5-light window above; 3 -light window to south aisle. Paired 2-light aisle windows and 12-bay clerestory with 2-light windows. Pilaster buttresses, and quatrefoil panels to parapet. Gabled porch has 2 niches with statues of patron saints over pointed entrance. Tower has angle buttresses and north-east canted stair turret, 4 windows of 2 lights to north and south. 3-face clock; triple 2- light bell openings have hood moulds with fleurons; enriched parapet with pinnacles and pyramidal roof with iron finial. 5- light north transept window. Chancel has flushwork arcading and 6-light east window, south chapel has 3-light east and 2-light south windows. Vestry has enriched parapet, 2-light windows and lateral stack. Interior has 6-bay nave arcades, alternate octagonal and clustered piers; wallpiers to clerestory and waggon roof. Octagonal font has traceried panels and wrought iron canopy. Low panelled chancel wall with corbelled octagonal timber pulpit. Canopied choir stalls in crossing. Chancel has blind arcading; painted reredos with coved canopy; sedilia to south. East and west windows have stained glass of 1950's by C. Edwards. South (war memorial) chapel has elaborate hammer truss, fragments of original glass in window heads. Boer War memorial in vestry in Art Nouveau style. A very good example of the work of Paley and Austin, according to Pevsner (BoE).

Listing NGR: SJ3885687006

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South Lancashire - Date: 1969

National Grid Reference: SJ 38856 87006

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:51:03.