List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1361405

Location

GUILDHALL, GUILDHALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of LeicesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188655

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUILDHALL LANE 1. 5304 (South Side) Guildhall (Old Town Hall) SK 5804 SW 2/47 5.1.50 GV 2. Originally Hall of the Corpus Christi Guild founded 1347 Used as Town Hall from circa 1495 to 1875. Timber frame building dating from mid C14. Well restored in 1922-26. Stone base. L-shaped on plan. The north range (the earliest part) consists of a one-storey hall with close-set studding and restored old slate roof, five bays, three with casement windows and the two right-hand bays have windows across the whole width. Entrance door has early C18 moulded segmental pediment and small gabled window over. Built around small court yard : east range timber framed and gabled. West range timber-frame with continuous window bands on both floors, elevation facing St Martins West three storeys, stone ground floor, timber frame above, five fixed casement windows, top storey has three gables each with one window, oversailing, lead gutter, old slate roof, inside - Mayor's Parlour, panelled, with fine fireplace of 1637 with columns and strapwork. The south range enclosing yard, late C18 red brick, five windows. Interior of hall: east end is mid C14 open timber roof with cruck trusses, collar- beams an arched braces, and king-posts on the collars, the west end is C15 with tie-beams on arched braces. East range has room which was library of 1632. A.M.

Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Martin's Cathedral and the Guildhall together with No 20 Loseby Lane form a group also St Martins Cathedral forms a group with Nos 3 to 7 (odd) St Martins East.



Listing NGR: SK5844404453

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58444 04453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:54:32.