List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING AND MARTYR

List entry Number: 1361370

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING AND MARTYR, CLAPGUN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityCastle Donington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358101

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE DONINGTON CLAPGUN STREET SK 4427-4527 9/54 Church of St Edward, King and Martyr 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. Early C13, with aisles widened C14, tower raised and given spire late C14, and clerestory added C15. Very much restored 1876-77 by William Smith of the Adelphi, London. Chancel restored 1902. Dressed stone with lead roofs. West tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel. Moulded plinths, battlemented parapets. West tower of 3 stages has tall octagonal spire, part rebuilt late C18, with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Angle buttresses, slit windows to south west stairs, some carved head gargoyles. Bell-chamber has 2-light traceried open- ings; C13 lancets below. Nave has late C15 clerestory of 4 bays with paired cusped lights in rectangular surrounds. C14 north aisle has restored Decorated windows with reticulated tracery, 2-light to west, 2 2-light to north, 3-light to north and east of east bay. North door in moulded 2-centred arch. Off-set buttresses. South aisle is slightly earlier, with keeled sill string and carved heads to string below parapet. Off-set buttresses 2 with corbel stands in gabled arched niches. 5 bays of 2-light traceried windows with carved head hoodmould stops. Similar 3-light east window. West window and those to east bay have shafts. South door in richly moulded arch, much restored, with pair of shafts to each jamb. C15 south porch, much restored, with moulded 2-centred arch and C16-C17 2-light side windows with ovolo mullions. Chancel has chamfered sill string and dripmould. 2 bays of lancets, with 2-light Y- traceried windows to east bay. South side also has partly blocked rectangular lowside window with transom, and later door in chamfered surround. North side has blocked door with 4-centred head. 5-light east window of 1902, in Perpendi- cular style. Interior: Triple chamfered tower arch, the inner order on semi- octagonal piers with moulded caps. 4-bay nave arcades, that to south with double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded and carved capitals; 2 with dog-tooth ornament. North arcade is chamfered and hollow-chamfered, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Above arcades are stone carved head corbels of former roof. Present roof is C16-C17, part restored, with moulded cambered tie beams and carved bosses. Similar aisle roofs. North aisle has remains of stairs to rood. South aisle has shafted window jambs, cusped arched piscina, and pair of arched niches, much restored, with shafts, carved capitals and carved head stops to label. Squints to chancel and nave. Chancel arch is triple-chamfered on corbels. Chancel has blocked door with roll moulding in north wall, and fine C14 tomb recess with moulded and cusped arch. Inside is the carved stone effigy of a priest, c1330, with ogee canopy. South wall has C13 triple arched sedilia with shafts, and chamfered arched piscina. Fittings: include a C15 octagonal stone font with heraldic panels, a C17 chest with carved panels, and a pulpit assembled 1870s from re-used alabaster slabs with inscript- ions and incised figures on inner faces. Other fittings are late C19 and C20. Monuments: in south aisle is a stone tomb chest with corner shafts and brasses depicting Robert Staunton and wife Agnes, d1458, in crocketed ogee canopies. In north aisle is a very fine alabaster tomb chest with carved effigies of Robert Hazylrygg, d1529, and wife. Sides of chest have cusped semi-circular arcades with relief figures of shield-bearing angels and seated bedesmen.

Listing NGR: SK4470527333

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 44705 27333

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:31:49.