List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HARDULPH

List entry Number: 1361364

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HARDULPH, BREEDON HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityBreedon on the Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BREEDON-ON-THE-HILL BREEDON HILL SK 42 SW 4/17 Church of St Mary and St Hardulph 7.12.62 GV I

Parish church, formerly the church of an Augustinian Priory founded early C12. Incorporates carved masonry of C9 date from monastic foundation formerly on site. Parts of west tower are early C12, raised C14-C15. C13 aisled chancel is now used as nave, and has C14 fenestration to north and south, and C15 clere- story. South porch incorporates some remains of C13 transept but has been much altered. Church much repaired 1784 by Joseph Wyatt, and again in 1900 when interior was stripped of plaster and east windows of chancel were renewed. Ashlar with lead roofs. West tower is of 3 stages with battlemented parapet, carved gargoyles and slender clasping buttresses. C14-C15 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, with transoms; small C15 2-light traceried windows with flat heads to north and south below bell-chamber; window to south west stairs. Lower stages have traces of roof-lines of former nave and transepts, and are much rebuilt in rubble stone. West side has blocked C12 arch to former nave, with moulded imposts, and fragmentary respond of non-aligned C15 nave arcade to centre. This has chamfered pier with attached semi-octagonal shaft and capital. Also in west wall are a C12 window with a semicircular chevron arch on shafts, and a C19 window with Y tracery. North side of tower has irregular arched single lights, and a small C12 doorway with semicircular chevron arch on shafts and later inner order with moulded roundels. To south of tower is gabled porch with narrow flanking gables and head of 3-light traceried window over C19-C20 door. Present nave has 4-bay C15 clerestory with battle- mented parapet and 2-light traceried windows, those to north with ogee tracery, those to south with trefoil-headed lights. Aisles have large irregular buttresses, moulded plinths, sill strings and dripmoulds. North aisle has moulded parapet, and C13 lancet in west bay over blocked doorway with 2-centred arch and roll-moulding. Lancet has ogee wooden transom. 3 other bays have large C14 3-light windows with various tracery, that to east bay with flatter arch, that to centre with renewed tracery. South aisle has battlemented parapet and 3 bays of large early C14 windows with intersecting tracery. Another arched 2-light window to left. Second bay has blocked C15-c16 doorway with moulded 4-centred arch and hoodmould. C13 lancet windows in east ends of aisles. Main east window is a group of 3 lancets with a cusped roundel above, all renewed 1900. All lancets have deeply chamfered surrounds. INTERIOR: South porch has altered jambs of large archway to south, C19-C20 4-centred doorway to tower, and 2 blocked doorways in east wall, one Transitional with nailhead and roll-mould- ings to arch and clustered shafts. Arch between tower and nave is triple- chamfered. Nave arcades of 4 bays, are renewed late C18 and have double- chamfered arches on variously-shaped quatrefoil piers. Aisles have small chamfered doorways in angled west corners. North aisle retains C13 groin vault- ing and west doorway with roll-moulding. South aisle and nave re-roofed late C18. In south aisle, east wall and spandrels of nave arcades are narrow stone friezes with SAXON CARVINGS of interlace ornament and grotesque beasts. 3 similar lengths of frieze in tower. East end of south aisle has central arched panel carved with figure of the Virgin, flanked by triple arcaded panels with smaller figures of saints. 2 more saints in arches and other figurative panels in south wall. Larger panel with figure of archangel Gabriel in tower. All of very good quality. FITTINGS: 3 carved shafts of C9-C10 stone crosses in north aisle. Shirley family pew, dated 1627, part balustraded, with strapwork and heraldic crests, corner obelisks, carved foliage, frieze and modillion cornice with winged angel heads; late C18 box pews, pulpit and west gallery; late C17-C18 turned baluster altar rails and chair in south chapel; C17 carved panels in dado of south chapel; octagonal stone font with heraldic panels. East end of north aisle has iron railings and 3 fine marble MONUMENTS to members of the Shirley family: (1) tomb-chest to Francis Shirley and wife, 1571, with carved figures holding shields to sides of chest; (2) tomb chest to John Shirley, late C16; (3) large wall monument to George and Frances Shirley 1598 with carved kneeling figures and skeleton below.

Listing NGR: SK4056023335

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 40577 23348

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:10:22.