List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1361087

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireBlabyDistrict AuthorityCosby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189002

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COSBY MAIN STREET SP 59 SW (west side)

4/12 Church of St. Michael and All 7.10.57 Angels

G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1907 by H. Cayley and in 1909 by J. F. J. Goodacre. South porch 1975. Random granite rubble and cobbles and dressed stone with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestorey, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, C14, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth with moulded band, 2 string courses, coved eaves with spouts and crenellated parapet. 2 diagonal western buttresses and single south eastern buttress, with setoffs. First stage has to west a restored shouldered doorway with weather-stripped door and above it, a late C14 double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Second stage has to north and south, a quatrefoil light. Third stage has on each side a restored cusped double lancet bell opening with hood moulds and stops. Above these, to north, south and west, a clock. Set back octagonal spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes on alternate faces, all with crocketed gables, the lower tier having double lancets. Above, crocketed finial and weathercock. Nave has chamfered plinth, moulded string course, coved eaves, moulded parapet and coped east gable. North side has 3 rendered brick buttresses and between the western pair, a C14 buttress, 2 setoffs. To the west, a double chamfered round headed doorway with re-set zigzag moulding. 3 renewed triple lancets with Decorated geometrical tracery, hood moulds and mask stops. The south side has 4 renewed triple lancet clerestorey windows with hood moulds and mask stops. The south east corner has an octagonal rood stair turret with pyramidal roof. Gabled early C20 organ chamber has a double gable stack and a pair of diagonal buttresses. Flat headed double lancet to north, single lancet to east. Flat roofed parapeted vestry, C20, has to north a lancet and to its right a moulded pointed doorway. To east, a double lancet with continuous hood mould. Chancel east end has a pair of diagonal buttresses and a sill band. Renewed C14 Decorated lancet with hood mould and above it, a chamfered single lancet. South side has a single C2O buttress, flanked to left by a chamfered C13 doorway and beyond, a chamfered flat headed single light. Above this, and to its left, 2 large slate memorial tablets, mid C18, and c.1809. To the east, a renewed cusped ogee double lancet with flat head. 3 bay south aisle has chamfered plinth and sill band, coved eaves and coped parapet. East end has a diagonal buttress and a renewed Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To its left, a large slate memorial tablet, mid C19. South side has to east of the porch, 2 buttresses with setoffs. and a double lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To the east again, a restored cusped double lancet. West of the porch, a renewed cusped double lancet with hood mould. West end has a renewed C15 double lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Rendered brick south porch has plain pointed doorway and C19 9 panel door. Interior has 2 brick benches and south doorway with Tudor arched head and remains of hood mould. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds with moulded capitals, and C20 Perpendicular style glazed screen and doors. South arcade, late C14, 4 bays, has piers with half round shafts to east and west and thinner round shafts to north and south running directly into the hood mould. Between the shafts, a cove and a chamfer. Lozenge shaped bases. Double chamfered and rebated arches. North side windows have medieval stained glass fragments in the heads. Low pitched roof has V struts to principal rafters. South aisle east end has to left a canted stair enclosure with a4 centred arched plank door. To its left, a mask corbel. East window has stained glass c.1870, and above it, a mask stop. South east window has stained glass, 1933, and central south window has stained glass, C19. Restored roof with cambered beams with bosses and short wall posts. Chancel has C14 double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds. Remodelled late C14 traceried screen with round headed central opening. North side has to east, a square C20 aumbry. East end has stained glass window, C19, and above it a single lancet with C20 stained glass. South side has to east a late C13 piscina and to west a window with C15 stained glass. Panelled barrel vaulted C19 roof. Fittings, late C19 and early C20, include traceried oak pulpit, eagle lectern, panelled stalls and desks, plain benches, 2 arch topped donations boards, 1819. Solid hewn oak chest, said to be C12. Font with banded round bowl, 1908, on C14 stem with 4 minor shafts. Royal Arms on board, late C18. Memorials include slate tablet, 1786, urn on corbel, 1888, enriched marble and slate tablet, 1836, Egyptian style marble and slate tablet, 1818. 3 late C19 Classical marble and slate tablets to the Rickards family. Classical tablet, 1854. Stone wall plaque with bronze war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945.

Listing NGR: SP5479994859

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 54799 94859

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 05:52:52.