List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LAUNDE ABBEY CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1361007

Location

LAUNDE ABBEY CHAPEL, LAUNDE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityLaunde

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAUNDE SK 70 SE LAUNDE ROAD

5/45 Launde Abbey : Chapel

29.12.66

GV II*

Chapel. Largely C15, but parts of fabric are C12 and C13. The Chapel was formerly part of the Augustinian Priory of Launde and is now attached as a wing to the house. Finely coursed ironstone rubble with tiled roof. Steep parapet to east gable with tall pinnacles. Doorway to north in Victorian Porch and to its right, part of the shafts of the Norman crossing are visible, round shafts with scalloped capitals and a fragment of arch to the west. Single Victorian traceried window in this wall, between the shafts. East window and the three south windows are all C15, of three principal lights with lesser upper lights, and hood moulds.

Inside there is an antechapel or western bay where the eastern-most C12 shaft is visible, and a narrow Early English archway opens onto the present nave. This may have been the former chancel arch but is possibly the arch to a south aisle chapel of the former Priory Church. It is steeply pointed, with an outer chamfer and inner rounded fillet-moulded arch, and is supported on corbels which themselves are like tiny shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and foliate bases. Across the inner (eastern) angles of this dividing wall are blank walls with ogee arches. The rest of the Chapel is a single space, with the chancel raised up slightly and a north doorway. Roof of c1839 with tie beams and traceried panels above them. To the north of the altar, the tomb of Gregory Cromwell; a fine example of Renaissance work, 1551. It is a large pedimented wall memorial with Corinthian pilasters decorated in low relief. The pediment carries three putti. The memorial is raised up on a base or predella with strapwork cartouche. In the central space the inscription is flanked by high relief winged horses supporting the shield of arms. Some C15 stained glass survives in all windows, including three large figures in the east window, one of which is St. Catherine, and smaller figures of the apostles in the south windows. The rest is filled with Victorian glass (1879 and 1892) Stone reredos representing the Last Supper in high relief, Caen stone (c1839).

Launde Priory, of which this building is a surviving fragment, was founded in 1125 by Richard Bassett and his wife Maud. At the dissolution it was held by Thomas Cromwell and then his son Gregory, remaining in the family until 1603.

Listing NGR: SK7975004375

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 79750 04375

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:20:45.