List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1360956

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthoritySproxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8224 SPROXTON Stonesby 27/77 Church of St Peter 1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. Probably Norman origins, early C14 nave, aisles and chancel. Chancel re-faced 1667, late C14 west tower. Restored 1875 by R.W. Johnson. Limestone with some ironstone and lead roofs. 3-stage tower, externally of 5 stages with set-offs at string courses. Clasping buttresses develop into angle buttresses at second external stage. West doorway with 2 orders of continuous shafts below Perpendicular 3-light basket-arched window. 2-light Decorated ringing climber windows. Paired 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows under hoods. Quatrefoil lozenge frieze below crenellated parapet. 4 corner pinnacles. Aisles supported on angle buttresses at corners. 2 and 3-light Y tracery aisle windows, that to east end of south flank replaced by 3-light Perpendicular window. Gabled south porch on diagonal buttresses. Arched moulded entrance below panel with moulded jambs and hood on head stops. Moulded arched north aisle door. 3 2-light ogeed clerestory windows each side under depressed arches. Low side window to west of chancel south priests' door. Door once Norman, now renewed. Above it a plaque: E F 1667. One 4-light Perpendicular window to east of door, under depressed arch. 2-light Y tracery east window. No chancel north openings. Interior. 3 bay arcade on circular piers to north, octagonal to south with, respectively, moulded circular or polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Tall double wave moulded tower arch with circular responds. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave roof of canted and moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. C12 reworked font: inset engaged columns to stem and intersecting arches to octagonal bowl. Within arches floral motifs. 3 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave. Aisle roofs of principals and purlins type, the latter moulded to south side. An arched recess at east end of north aisle and a blocked arch in chancel wall indicates former chapel. Chancel roof of canted tie beams on arched braces dropping to wall posts. Base of wall posts have carved heads. 8 poppyheads on C19 benches in chancel.

Listing NGR: SK8228724745

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 82287 24745

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:42:41.