List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1360899

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBottesford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190041

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8237-8337 BOTTESFORD CHURCH LANE (South side) Muston 48/144 Church of St John the Baptist 1.1.68 II*

Parish church. C13 nave and aisles, C14 west tower and chancel. Alterations recorded 1440. Restored 1875-6 by C. kirk. Ironstone with limestone dressings. 3 stage tower, externally of 4 stages defined by string courses. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light Decorated belfry windows. Corbel table below 4 corner pinnacles. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes decreasing markedly in size. They alternate between facets and contain Decorated 2-light tracery. 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows under pointed arches. 2-and 3-light Perpendicular north aisle windows under pointed segmental arches. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side under flat heads with hoods. Gabled north and south porches, both with moulded arched entrances. North porch has in addition stepped diagonal buttresses and 2 crocketed pinnacles. South porch has set into its east wall a monument to William Brown, 1761. 2 2-light Flamboyant chancel south windows and 2 3-light north windows separated by an arched Priest's door. 3-light east window of elongated reticulation units. South and east windows probably 1875. Interior. 3-bay C13 arcade, the octagonal piers with polygonal bases and capitals. Capitals with nailhead and occasional crocket decoration. Double chamfered arches. Triple chamfered tower arch and depressed chancel arch. C19 nave roof of ties, ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. 19 C15 poppyheads remain to later benches. Octagonal C15 font with hollow sides to stem, each with 2 fleurons. 4 carved heads to base. Bowl has split-cusped quatrefoils to each facet containing grimacing heads. C15 screen of 3 cusped lights right and left of cusped ogee opening is so restored as to appear entirely C19. Chancel roof as nave. Wall monument in chancel to Robert Sanderson, 1682. Heads of chancel south windows contain fragments of late C14 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SK8290137845

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 82901 37845

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:32:53.