List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STAPLEFORD HALL WITH ADJOINING SERVICE WINGS AND ORANGERY

List entry Number: 1360859

Location

STAPLEFORD HALL WITH ADJOINING SERVICE WINGS AND ORANGERY, STAPLEFORD PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityFreeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jul-1953

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189821

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 81 NW FREEBY STAPLEFORD PARK

Stapleford 6/49 Stapleford Hall with adjoin- 14.7.53 ing service wings and orangery

G.V. I

Country house with adjoining service wings and orangery. The north wing was built for Thomas Sherard c.1500, and repaired and remodelled in 1633 by William and Abigail Sherard. The main H- plan range was built for Bennet Sherard c,1670, and refenestrated and remodelled by the 4th Earl Harborough c.1776. An orangery was added to the west c.1820. The central courtyard was filled with a Jacobean style range, and a service wing added to the north by Micklethwaite for John Gretton in 1894-98. Ashlar with hipped and gabled stone slate roofs. 11 grouped corniced stone stacks. 2 storeys plus attics, 9 bays wide by 7 bays deep. Square plan plus wings to north and west. Main range, c.1670, has projecting quoins, pulvinated first flooor band, eaves band, and deep modillioned eaves. Main east front has a central panelled ashlar doorcase with scrolled brackets and a broken segmental pediment, moulded 6 panel door and glazing bar overlight, flanked on each side by 4 glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves. Above, 9 similar sashes, and above again, 3 segmental headed dormers each with a cross casement. North side, former entrance court, has an off-centre doorcase with scroll brackets to a broken segmental pediment containing a draped crest. A tall glazing bar sash replaces the door. To its left 4, and to right, 2 glazing bar sashes, all with moulded architraves. Above the door, a similar sash with more heavily moulded eared architrave, and the eaves stepped above it, flanked to left by 4 and to right by 3 glazing bar sashes. Above, 3 dormers each with a cross casement. Beyond, to left, projecting single bay wing with a glazing bar sash and above, a wooden cross casement. In the return angle, a single sash to each floor. Symmetrical west front, 7 bays, has 6 wooden cross casements and a French window. Above, 7 wooden cross casements, and above again, 3 dormers with segmental heads and 2 light casements. Late C19 south front has projecting balustraded 7 bay centre with a central 2 storey square bay window with shaped balustraded gable with sundial and inscription. Central triple cross mullioned casement. Beyond on each side, a 3 light cross mullioned casement flanked by single 2 light cross mullioned casements and between the windows, single round headed niches. Above, similar fenestration with taller windows. The bay window has a cross mullioned casement in each side on each floor. Beyond again, on each side, a late C17 wing, each with a glazing bar sash on each floor. 3 bay north wing has to east moulded plinth and first floor band, a coved band with bosses and a frieze of shields and moulded eaves with the inscription 'William Lord Sherard Baron of Letrym repayred this Buylding Anno Domini 1633'. 2 double lancets with flat heads and hood moulds. Between them, a triple figurative panel flanked oin each side by 4 shields and beyond by single figurative panels. Above, a central remodelled 4 light lancet with flat head and hood mould and above it, 3 crocketed gables. Beyond, on each side, 3 crocketed niches containing figures. Beyond, on each side, a double lancet with flat head and hood mould. Beyond again, on each side, 3 crocketed niches with figures. The 6 figures and niches to right are c.1500, the 6 to the left, 1633. Above again, 3 cross eaves dormers with triangular pediments on volutes, each with a niche containing a figure and each with a double lancet. Beyond, to left, a 2 storey square extruded corner, c.1500, with moulded parapet with fleurons. On each floor on each side, a triple lancet with flat head and hood mould. Above each upper window, a figurative panel. North end has pedimented shaped gable with finial, on volutes. Central paired cusped double lancet with flat head and hood mould and above it, a triple figurative panel. Above, a similar paired double lancet and above it, a figurative panel flanked by single smaller panels. Above again, a triple lancet with flat head and hood mould,and above it, a figurative panel with foliate bracket anbd a crest. Beyond, to right, a 2 storey range, raised late C19, with a projecting central bay containing a pointed doorway with flat hood mould. Beyond, to right, a paired double lancet with hood mould, and above it a 6 fold relief panel. Above, 3 late C19 double lancets with flat hoods. North wing west side has area with coped balustrade. To the right, 3 buttresses, the central one shorter. 4 stone cross mullioned casements. Above, 5 cross mullioned casements. Above again, 4 cross eaves gabled dormers with shoulders and obelisk finials, each with a 3 light cross mullioned casement. Beyond, to left, a C19 lean-to addition with a cross mullioned casement, coped parapet, and a frieze with a Latin inscription. Northern service wing, 1898, 9 bays, L-plan, has 2 moulded string courses, and wavy coped parapet with ball finials. East side has a re-set carriage opening c.1633, with moulded elliptical head, flanking Tuscan columns and a hood mould with a frieze of shields, flanked on each side by 2 four light lancets with hood moulds. Above the carriage opening, a cross mullioned casement flanked on each side by 4 similar casements. Above again, central segmental pediment dated 1898. West side has an off-centre 2 storey porch with a scrolled pedimented gable and moulded elliptical arch with hood mould and 3 shields, flanked by single lean-to covered ways. Above, the porch has 2 chamfered casements and above them, a clock. Beyond on each side, 2 cross mullioned casements. North side has 3 triple lancets and above, 4 cross casements. Western service wing has to south in the basement, a Tudor arched doorway and 2 C19 mullioned casements. Above, 2 recesses with segmental heads, that to right with a mullioned casement. Above again, a central chamfered casement with hood mould. Beyond, to left, 4 bay section raised late C19. Recessed 2 bay centre with flanking wings with shaped gables. On each floor, 4 paired cross mullioned casements. Beyond again, to left, orangery, early C19. Central round headed doorway and above it, a Diocletian window, flanked on each side by 2 full height wooden glazing bar lights. coped west gable has large central French window with overlight. Interior, possibly by John Webb c.1670, remodelled c.1776 and again in 1898. Eastern entrance hall has to west, a late C18 Classical marble fireplace with swagged central panel. To its left, moulded doorcase with a broken pediment. East end has a 3 bay round arched Ionic arcade. West end has a late C17 doorcase with a late C20 pediment. Late C18 panelled ceiling with central roundel containing high relief figures. Adam style cornice. Ante room to south has late C17 decoration, with arch topped eared and shouldered wall panels, 2 doorcases with eared architraves and high relief foliate friezes with broken segmental pediments, C18 Classical marble fireplace with fruit swagged overmantel,and palmette cornice. Dining room, late C19, has to east and west a central re-sited late C17 doorcase with broken segmental pediment, enriched wall panelling and to south, central stone fireplace, late C18, with carved wooden overmantel attributed to Gibbons, all flanked by single enriched Corinthian pilasters. Mid C20 banded plaster ceiling. Late C17 panelled sitting room has moulded cornice and early C19 Classical fireplace. C19 panelled music room, to south, has to north a recess with Ionic columns containing a rococo style marble fireplace. C19 library has fitted bookshelves and to east and westa concealed door. Wooden Classical fireplace with flanking columns. Central C19 staircase hall has mahogany panelling, pedimented doorcases, and dogleg stair with intermediate landings and gallery, square newels and bulbous balusters, all in late C17 style. Above, to south, a 3 bay elliptical arched arcade. C19 service hall, to west, has to north, very large Baroque style black and white marble fireplace with scroll brackets. West end has a 3 bay round arched arcade. South and east sides have each, to left, a passageway with moulded panelled barrel vault. East and west ends have, above, a 3 bay round headed arcade. Late C18 former kitchen has an early C19 vault with square central pier and to north and south a depressed 4 centred arched fireplace opening. Late C19 first floor gallery has 2 C18 marble fireplaces, that to west with figure brackets, attributed to J. M. Rysbrack. Stapleford Park belonged from 1402 to the Sherard family, who became Barons of Leitrim in 1627 and Earls of Harborough in 1718. The title expired in 1859. The estate was bought in 1885 by James Hornsby and in 1894 by John Gretton, who carried out much alteration and new building. His son, who succeeded in 1899, subsequently became Lord Gretton. The house was sold in 1986 to John Payton and is being converted into an hotel.

Listing NGR: SK8137518060

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 26 Leicestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SK 81375 18060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 06:17:24.