List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1360855

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityFreeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 82 SW FREEBY MAIN STREET

(north side) 1/37 Church of St. Mary 1.1.68

I

Parish church. Early C14, tower and clerestory C15, chancel raised C15, aisles rebuilt in restoration of 1893. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Chamfered sill band and eaves, coped east gables with kneelers and crosses. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 2 string courses, 4 shallow clasp buttresses with setoffs, lozenge frieze, coved eaves, 4 gargoyles and crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has, to west, a restored double lancet. Second stage has, to west, a chamfered rectangular light. Third stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with a quatrefoil head and hood mould. Clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side 3 untraceried cusped double lancets with Tudor arched heads and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses and an almost central pair flanking a restored, moulded C14 door. To east, a restored ogee double lancet with flat head. West end has an ogee double lancet with a chamfered reveal and flat head. East end has a similar window with a coved reveal. All the openings have hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has a pair of diagonal buttresses at the east end, with setoffs. North side has to west, a cusped transomed single lancet with hood mould. East end has a C19 ogee 5 light lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has to west, a C14 ogee double lancet with flat head, and to east, an early C14 ogee double lancet, both with hood moulds. South aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses with setoffs. South aisle has 2 restored untraceried ogee double lancets. East end has a C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has a panel traceried ogee double lancet. All these lancets have hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with cross. Chamfered C14 doorway with octagonal responds and hood mould. In each side, a single unglazed ogee lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches and a C19 arch braced common rafter roof. Early C14 south doorway has shafts with fillet moulding and hood mould with mask stops. C19 door. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch with hood mould and round responds. Tower chamber west window has C19 patterned glass. 3 bay early C14 north arcade has restored octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Similar south arcade has piers with 4 filleted main shafts and 4 subsidiary shafts, and octagonal responds. Moulded bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. North aisle has sill band and windows with patterned stained glass. North side has a plain aumbry at the east end. Lean-to roof, C19, with arch braces. South aisle has similar sill band and roof. South east end has a square aumbry. South side has fragments of wall painting. Chancel has a double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds. North side has to east an aumbry with heavily moulded surround. South side has an early C14 roll moulded aumbry. C19 panelled roof with arch braces and moulded wall shafts. Fittings include 4 C16 benches with poppyheads, C17 table, C18 chest, C13 square font with a cross on each side, on an octagonal stem. C19 brass eagle lectern, chairs and pulpit. Royal Arms, 1835. Memorials include pedimented marble and slate tablet on brackets, 1711, and arch top slate tablet, 1734. Marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK8038420122

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 80384 20122

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:00:18.