List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1360836

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MELTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBurton and Dalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 71 NE BURTON AND DALBY MELTON ROAD

Burton Lazars (east side) 5/21 Church of St. James 1.1.68

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, mid and late C13, C14, C15. Restored and chancel rebuilt by H. Goddard, 1850. Further restored 1887 and 1900. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths and sill bands, plain eaves, coped gables with crosses to nave and chancel. Windows have moulded reveals, hood moulds and mask stops. Small internal west tower with bell turret and spirelet, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West end has paired central and flanking buttresses, linked by a pointed arch carrying a slab roofed bell turret with double lancet bell openings, On each side, a smaller gable with a double lancet opening. Above, a broached octagonal spirelet. Between the buttresses, a single C13 lancet. Clerestory, 4 bays, has on each side 3 C19 foiled double lancets, Decorated style. North aisle, 3 unequal bays, has moulded eaves and 2 diagonal buttresses and corner gargoyles plus 2 intermediate buttresses. West end has an early C14 double lancet with Y tracery. North side has to east, a restored later C14 double lancet, and to west an ogee double lancet. To west again, a restored doorway c.1300 with hood mould and imposts with nailhead. East end has a restored ogee triple lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has on north side, to east, restored ogee double lancet with flat head. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses, stepped sill band and C19 triple lancet with flowing tracery. South side has a restored round headed chamfered priest's doorway, with hood mould and moulded imposts, flanked by single C19 Decorated double lancets with different tracery. South aisle, C14, 4 bays, has a diagonal buttress at each end. South side has off-centre porch flanked by single restored ogee double lancets with depressed pointed heads. Beyond, to east, a restored ogee triple lancet with segmental head. West end has a restored ogee double lancet with flowing tracery. South porch has moulded and chamfered plinth and sill band, 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with gabled kneelers. Multiple moulded doorway has hood mould and mask stops. In each side, a small chamfered plain lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches, C19 common rafter roof and C13 round headed moulded inner doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Shouldered, gabled internal tower has double chamfered and rebated opening with hood mould and mask stops, and conical imposts. C20 glazed traceried wooden screen. West window has C19 patterned stained glass. Early C13 nave arcades, 4 bays. North side has round piers, responds and bases and north-easat peier capital with C12 style leaves and masks. South arcade has octagonal piers and late C12 style waterleaf capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds, that to north being more elaborate and having mask stops. Restored C15 clerestory roof with cambered span beams, arch braces and wall shafts, with wooden angels and stone mask corbels. North aisle has to west, painted C19 wooden screen forming vestry, with Latin text and Bishops' crests. North side east window has stained glass, 1877. East end window has coved and moulded reveal with hood mould and stops. To its right a moulded square bracket and a C13 cusped piscina and aumbry with hood mould. South aisle east end has blocked window with hood mould, containing war memorial. South side has to east, a cupsed C14 piscina and aumbry. Both aisles have plain C19 roofs. Chancel has C13 double chamfered and rebated arch with half-round responds. East end has C20 traceried panelled wooden reredos and stained glass memorial window and brass, 1892. Double purlin roof with arch braces and stone angel corbels. Fittings include C15 font with octagonal stem with shafts and panelled bowl re-cut C19. 3 C17 carved oak chests, court cupboard and armchair. Mid C20 panelled stalls and desks. C19 octagonal oak pulpit. Oak eagle lectern, 1907. Memorials include pedimented marble tablet, 1785, Gothic style marble war memorial tablet, brass, 1913, roll of honour.

Listing NGR: SK7676316941

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 76763 16941

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:59:28.