List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTESBACH HALL

List entry Number: 1360766

Location

COTESBACH HALL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityCotesbach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191408

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 58 SW COTESBACH MAIN STREET (south side)

Cotesbach Hall 3/6 11/01/55 II* GV

House. Built in circa 1700 for Edward Wells rector; remodelled and extended in 1720 for John Farshaw; service wing added in circa 1880 by Charles Marriott. Brick with stone dressings. Plain tile and slate twin-span roof with 4 gable stacks and 1 ridge stack. Coped gables with kneelers. North front: slate roof. PLAN : Double depth plan with central stairhall; the left (W) hand part and the right hand (E) wing added circa 1720 and the rear left (NW) service wing added in circa 1880. 2 storeys and attic: 6 bays. Moulded wooden cornice. 1st floor band. Large, off-centre round-arched window with central mullion, and transom. Below to left, a doorway with C20 part-glazed double doors with overlight and wooden latticed porch, flanked by single glazing-bar sashes with cambered arches. Above to left, 3 glazing-bar sashes. Below to right, 2 glazing-bar sashes with cambered arches, and above to right, 2 glazing-bar sashes. 3 dormers with shallow pitched roofs and sashes. To left, 1 ½ storey wing, plain tile roof, gabled, with flat-roofed polygonal 3-bay projection with brick band,parapet, and 3 glazing-bar sashes with cambered arches. To right, a 1 ½ storey-single-bay, plain tiled wing single glazing-bar sash with cambered arch, and dormer with shallow pitched roof and 2-light casement. Adjoining to north, a late C19 ancillary range and an C18 brick boundary wall, running east for c50m. INTERIOR: mid C18 staircase with open string, 2 turned balusters per tread, moulded and wreathed handrail. Early C18 panelling, moulded and dentilled cornice, and moulded stone chimney piece, in ground floor room in south east corner. Other rooms have good C18 moulded plates cornices and friezes and chimney pieces. C18 joinery largely intact including panelled doors and arch to stairs. NOTE: Edward Wells was rector and professor of Geography, Ancient History and Mathematics at Oxford. John Farshaw was professor of Greek at Oxford. The house was bought by the Marriott family in 1750 who have lived here since 1768. SOURCE; Major R A Marriott

Listing NGR: SP5391082375

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 53910 82375

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:25:27.