List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1360720

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHusbands Bosworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191264

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUSBANDS BOSWORTH SP 68 SW CHURCH STREET (East Side)

8/43 Church of All Saints

7.12.66

GV II*

Parish Church. Largely early C.14, restored extensively in 1861 and 1867. Ironstone rubble with limestone dressings and limestone ashlar tower with bands of ironstone. West tower with spire, nave with 2 aisles and clerestory, chancel. Early C.14 tower and spire, the tower very massively square and squat of three stages, buttressed with 2-light Victorian west window with late C.14 niche above: an ogee trefoil is flanked by pinnacles with fleurons. Clock in second stage and paired reticulated lights to bell chamber with massive corbel heads to hood mould. Corbel table and primitive pinnacles at angles. Short broached spire with Y traceried lucarnes. Ironstone rubble to south aisle with sillband and limestone parapet. The fabric appears to be medieval, details are Victorian. Buttressed south aisle with recut Victorian tracery in Decorated style. Porch of 1746 is a short structure, its coped gable dominated by a diagonally set sundial stone, capped by ball finial. South vestry is of well coursed and squared ironstone, with small blocked priests door with shallow segmental head, and a blind lozenge recess above. Over this, just below the parapet is a stone dated 1683 with the initials SB and ET and some decoration. This dates the addition of the vestry. The chancel is probably entirely a Victorian re-build. Ashlar with plain tiled roof of steep pitch, 2-light windows to south and 3-light East window, all in Decorated style, but the East windows are a far finer cut tracery design. Victorian vestry to north. Coursed and squared rubble and Victorian windows in North aisle and another diminutive north porch balancing that to south. Y traceried clerestory lights throughout. Large interior with triple chamfered west tower arch which is not aligned centrally with the nave. Nave arcade of 4 narrow bays, rebuilt in C.19 in Decorated style with clustered shafts with heavy and luxuriant foliate capitals and double chamfered arches, banded alternately red and white ashlar, and with large angels as label stops to hoodmould. Nave roof is of king post and angle strut construction, low pitched and the ceiling is painted with stencilled pattterns on a white background. Chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds. Rood door survives on south. Steep chancel roof with long curved principals. South vestry arch and Victorian piscina and stone quatrefoil frieze as reredos. Stained glass in chancel south window of 1898: A florid representation of the Good Shepherd. East window in style of Powell's workshop. A geometric design with central panel depicting the curing of the blind man. Not dated. Stained glass in south vestry of the Good Samaritan, 1865, and a series of stained glass in the South aisle of 1867, depicting miracles in gaudy colours. Fittings throughout the Church date from the restoration: choir stalls with ornate brass candleholders, lecturns, pulpit, altar rails, reredos panels and encaustic floor tiles. Font also of this date: octagonal with inscribed panels. Tombs: On the north aisle wall, various C.19 memorials to members of the Mason family, and to Anna Smith who died in 1706: The oval inscription plate is superimposed on a scroll with a shield above and a skull below. Curious wood reliquary in North aisle, in Gothic style, c1918. Hollow pinnacles flank an inscription, containing two swords of John Shenton, 1612-1669, and Austin Kirk Shenton, 1895-1918. Two small panels below depict landscapes associated with the two men: John Shenton hides in an oak tree, and the other appears to be a First World War battlefield. Various C.18 war Memorials and a charity board in the tower and C.18 and C.19 War Memorials to the Hubbard la Sargue family in the south aisle.

Listing NGR: SP6445284374

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 64452 84374

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 03:35:44.