List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1360702

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityDunton Bassett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DINTON BASSETT CHURCH LANE (East Side) SP59 SW 3/16 Church of All Saints 11.1.55

GV II* Parish Church. Mostly late C13 to early C14, and restored c1880. Parts of granite rubble, parts limestone, with ashlar limestone dressing throughout. West tower and spire nave with north aisle and clerestory, chancel. The tower is of random granite rubble, four stages high with clasping buttresses to first and second stages which are angled thereafter and are capped by carved heads. Early C14 west doorway with moulded arch and worn corbel heads, 2-light foiled window above. Two tier paired foiled bellchamber lights. Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles with fleurons. Recessed spire with lucarnes. The buttressed south wall of the nave is of small grade uncoursed rubble construction with Victorian porch or vestry added, and one early Decorated window with intersecting tracery and a Perpendicular 3-light window. The C15 clerestory windows are simple squared openings of 2 lights with straight chamfered mullions. Eastern-most buttress of the nave is dated 1622 with the initials IF and WA. Chancel, which is entirely a late C19 rebuild, though probably re-using some of the existing fenestration is of granite rubble with fishscale tiled roof. The south windows are Early English Y-traceried lights, the east window a shallow arched 4-lights. North aisle seems to have been partially rebuilt in granite rubble at its east end, but the rest of the fabric is of small grade uncoursed rubble. The eastern cusped and hollow chamfered lancet is probably C13. Two of the north windows are in a Decorated style with many cusped lights. One of them is probably a renewal but the other has grotesque corbel heads, and a curious discontinuity or projection in the fabric of the wall beneath it. The north-west window seems to be C13, 2-lights of plate tracery. One gargoyle to aisle and one in clerestory above. Small blocked round arched north doorway. Inside, the west tower arch is clasped by the return wall of the west end of the nave, and is a narrow triple chamfered archway with semi-octagonal responds. North arcade of three bays, late C13, the double chamfered arches are on piers with an unusual section: each consists of four grouped semi-octagonal shafts. Corbel heads from a contemporary roof rest in the spandrels. Chancel arch is Victorian in a late C13 style with semi-circular responds and roll moulded capitals. Nave roof is C15: tie beams with traceried panels in the angles with the low pitched roof. Each tie beam has a carved boss representing angels, a wheatsheaf etc., and the deeply moulded purlins and ridge piece are of the same date. The chancel is Victorian with fittings contemporary with it including a panelled reredos. North chancel chapel has late C13 archway from aisle with cylindrical shafts and capitals. C12 font on modern base. Stained glass of the late Cl9 in west window of north aisle and in north chancel chapel where it is dated 1863, with lozenges containing flowers and the symbols of the Evangelists incorporated. Pictorial chancel east window, c1880. Some mediaeval benches which have been ascribed to the C14 were removed for restoration at the time of the re-survey.

Listing NGR: SP5475990438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 54759 90438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:45:13.