List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1360671

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHorninghold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190976

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORNINGHOLD

SP 89 NW

3/73 Church of St. Peter

7.12.66

GV II*

Church. C12-C13, C15 and restored 1844, 1904 and 1936. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings and ashlar spire, and leaded and Collyweston slate roofs. Stone coped gables. W tower with spire, nave, aisles, chancel and N porch. Late C13 W tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, W doorway, 4 bell openings with Y tracery, and short broach spire. 1 tier of lucarnes with cusped lights and plate tracery. Foliage finial. Triple chamfered nave arch, chamfer continuing to ground. 3 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Early C13 3 bay S arcade similar but with rounded arches. Perp clerestory with 3 2-light flat-topped windows either side. Perp 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. N aisle has Perp 3-light NE window and 2 2-light flat-topped N windows. N porch with single chamfered archway. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds. Chancel has 3-light flat-topped window to N and S and similar 2-light to E. Whitewashed plastered ceiling. S aisle has similar 3-light windows and reset Norman S doorway. Palmette decoration in imposts and, on arch, 3 concentric tiers of chip-carved stars. Hood mould with billet moulding. C13 octagonal font with C18 cover. Some medieval bench ends, a few with poppy-heads. Knight Templar coffin slab, c1260, now on wall near W door. C18 communion rail with turned balusters. Outside on N aisle E wall are mounted 3 C18 slate wall monuments. Pevsner, V.C.H., Vol.V., and White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877.

Listing NGR: SP8069597090

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1877 - Journal Title: Whites Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964 - Volume: 5
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984

National Grid Reference: SP 80695 97090

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 06:56:10.