List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1360666

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityGreat Easton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT EASTON

SP 8493 CHURCH BANK (North End)

12/50 Church of St. Andrew

7.12.66 II* GV

Church. C12 - C15, restored 1864 and 1889, and vestry of 1906. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar, and leaded, part parapetted,roof. Stone coped gables and vestry stone stack. Collyweston slate roof to S porch. W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel, SE vestry, and S porch. Late C13 W tower incorporating small section of Norman herringbone masonry, of 3 stages, with angle buttresses with set-offs. W lancet, lancet to N on 2nd stage and 4 paired bell openings with bar tracery. Shafts and dog-tooth decoration on arches. Corbel-table, with heads and little arches, and ball flower frieze over. Broach spire with remains of corner pinnacles, clock faces to W and S, 2 tiers of lucarnes, and finial with weathercock. Nave arch is triple-chamfered and has tripartite shafts with moulded capitals. 3 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, one with foliage frieze and heads. N respond has small naked man. 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 3 3-light windows either side. 5 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof, dated 1774 and 1743, perhaps for restoration. N aisle has flat-topped NW window, 3 N windows, 2 flat-topped, N door and NE lancet. N window has stained glass of 1856 and NE lancet C19 stained glass.Piscina. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Chancel has N window, blocked N door, E window with stained glass of 1889, 1-light over, and probably C19 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. To SE the Vestry and S chancel chapel with 4-light Perp window. S aisle has 2 flat-topped windows, with stained glass of 1872 and c1900. S porch has doorway with double chamfered arch. Many-moulded S door. Inside are small piece of stone cross shaft with interlaced design and Royal Arms on panel, probably Georgian, but unusual heraldry. Partly Cl7 hexagonal oak pulpit on C19 base. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP8489193187

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SP 84891 93187

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 02:37:16.