List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1360631

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, GAULBY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityStoughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

For those items listed under STOUGHTON. MAIN STREET.

The street name shall be amended to read: GAULBY LANE 4/90 ------------------------------------ STOUGHTON

SK 60 SW MAIN STREET (North Side) 4/90 29.12.66 Church of St. Mary

GV II*

Church. C14 tower, rest mostly of 1862. Latter by Dain and Smith. Ashlar, with Welsh slate and parapetted roofs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages with 2-light W window, NW stair, 1-light, 4 bell openings, pointed trefoiled frieze, battlements with pinnacles, and crocketted spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Triple chamfered arch to nave on polygonal responds. 4 bay N arcade with 2 rounded and 2 pointed arches. Double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. 4 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Clerestory with 4 3-light Perp. type windows either side. C19 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Wide N aisle has 5 large windows, the Intersected tracery with cusping and cinquefoiled circles at apex. Possibly to the original design. N door. Many moulded chancel arch. Chancel has E window and 3 windows either side all with Curvilinear type tracery. C19 3 bay roof with curved braces to curved collars. Tiled foor, probably Minton. S aisle has E window with Curvilinear type tracery, 3 S windows with Reticulated, and the W window Intersected with daggers. Many moulded S doorway. Fine series of monuments in N aisle. Alabaster double table tomb to Thomas Farnham, died 1562, and wife. Recumbent effigies and 4 children holdings shields on sides. Wall monument to Sir Thomas Beaumont, 1631; and Sir George Beaumont, of 1737, signed by Scheemakers. Obelisk with shields between 2 urns. Slab to Roger Crosley, former Vicar, of 1633. Further C18 and C19 wall monuments. Painted wooden Georgian Royal Arms carved in high relief. Chamber organ, c1830, in carved mahogany case. C19 octagonal font. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6406302112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SK 64063 02112

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:01:13.