List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1360592

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityKirkby La Thorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192623

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKBY LA THORPE CHURCH LANE TF 04 NE (west side) 2/77 Church of St. Denys 1/2/67 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, c14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1854-55, restored 1911-12. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar and some ashlar dressings, lead and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch. 2 stage C14 west tower with moulded plinth, hollow moulded string course and embattled parapet with crocketted angle pinnacles. In the belfry stage are louvred 2 light windows with pointed heads and 4 centred arched surrounds with hood moulds. To the south is a 2 light C16 window with 4 centred arched heads to the lights, sunk spandrels, low triangular headed chamfered surround. To the west a tall 3 light C14 window, cusped ogee heads to the lights and trefoils, chamfered triangular surround. Beneath the string course are 2 fragments of ClO 2 strand interlace carving, perhaps from the arms of a cross. Low C14 north aisle of ashlar has lead roof and raised stone coped gables. A blocked pointed doorway is flanked by single 2 light C14 cusped ogee headed windows in chamfered square surrounds. To the east, a matching C14 window with quatrefoil over and pointed head. Restored C13 chancel with to the north a single recut lancet and a blocked segmental headed opening. Rebuilt east wall contains a tall 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights and geometric tracery containing trilobes. On the south side a blocked doorway with pointed head and 2 chamfered lancets. The south wail of the nave contains a tall 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a chamfered surround. A lancet window is partially obscured by the rebuilt gabled south porch. There is a further lancet beyond. The outer doorway of the porch has a C19 timber framed pointed head and a cusped fretted bargeboard. Side benches. The arch braced ties, fleuron decorated wall plates and moulded principals of the porch roof are C14. The inner doorway is C12, much recut with nook shafts having cushion capitals, roll moulded flat head and plain tympanum and voussoirs. Interior: 4 bay late C12 north nave arcade has round piers, moulded annular capitals and double chamfered arches with hollow moulded hoods, octagonal responds to the east and west. The tower arch is C13, octagonal responds, moulded imposts and double chamfered head. In the north aisle are steps to the rood loft. The chancel north wall contains the rear arch of the blocked doorway visible externally, it is C19 in its present form, single chamfered with beast head stops. In the south wall is a piscina with plain pointed C13 head. Fittings: some fragments of Medieval glass including an armorial shield in the east window of the north aisle. An oak prayer desk made from C14 bench ends decorated with blank cusped panels and fleur de lys terminals. C14 tower screen, probably from the chancel, of 3 panels, ogee headed with tall lancets above the moulded rail and styles. There are 2 fonts. One is C14, octagonal, with cusped square panels containing blank shields, C18 panelled wooden cover. The second font is C16, also octagonal, with blank traceried panels and sunk spandrels, plain shields and quatrefoils to the stem. In the north aisle a long iron bound wooden chest with 3 lock plates. Monuments: on the south nave wall a conservative pedimented ashlar wall plaque to William Willerton, d.1845 by Copeland. In the reveal of the chancel south window, a small rectangular brass plate records the charitable donations of the Rev. Thomas Meriton, d.1685.

Listing NGR: TF0990746092

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 09907 46092

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:42:54.