List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAVERHOLME PRIORY

List entry Number: 1360563

Location

HAVERHOLME PRIORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityEwerby and Evedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EWERBY AND EVEDON HAVERHOLME PARK TF 14 NW 3/23 Haverholme Priory G.V. II

A fragment only of a ruined country house in the Tudor taste. 1835 by H. E. Kendall. Red brick entirely faced with limestone ashlar, roofs collapsed. A bank of 3 octagonal stacks with roll moulded bases and embattled tops remains. What remains is a 4 bay, 2 storey front having an advanced centre bay with to right a flanking wall terminating in an octagonal tower. Moulded plinth, chamfered and moulded string courses, embattled parapets, slender angle towers to the centrepiece. The principal door has a 4 centred Tudor arched head, moulded surround, leaf and rose decoration to the spandrels. A pair of half glazed doors with Tudoresque glazing bars and blank panelled bases. Above a moulded string course and fretted parapet. Moulded and pointed inner doorway, collapsed quadrupartite ribbed vault in porch, single fixed sidelights. To left a single 2 light window, 4 centred arched heads, moulded transom. To right are 2 single windows and a 2 light window, also a shield bearing the arms of St. Gilbert of Sempringham. To first floor are a pair of 2 light windows above the porch with 3 single light windows to the right. The second storey of the centrepiece contains a further pair of matching 2 light windows. In the 2 upper stages of the right hand tower, single light windows occur in alternating directions and in the inner angle is a taller octagonal stair turret, also embattled. All windows have deeply chamfered rectangular surrounds, moulded Tudor arched heads, sunk spandrels and roll moulded mullions. The rear of the building is entirely of red brick and some straight joints suggest that elements of the house of 1780 may have been reused during the 1835 reconstruction. The interior is much reduced and the floors are collapsed. Fragments only remain of the Tudoresque plasterwork which consisted of full height arched blank panels in the hall. Some shutters remain and the doors and windows have bald roll moulded wooden architraves. In the ground floor chamber of the tower the original dark green painted plaster finish is exposed. This was the site of a Gilbertine priory founded in 1139. A house in the Gothick taste was built here in the 1780s. It was the seat of the Finch Hatton family, Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham. members of this family are mentioned in the book 'Out of Africa', as is Haverholme itself.

Listing NGR: TF1079949439

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 10799 49439

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 02:46:13.