List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY

List entry Number: 1360501

Location

LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireBostonDistrict AuthorityOld Leake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192024

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 35 SE OLD LEAKE LADE BANK

2/105 Lade Bank Lock, Pumping Station and Chimney

II

Lock, pumping station and chimney. 1805 by John Rennie and 1867. Red brick, red and yellow brick, slate roofs with raised stone coped gables and kneelers. Originally consisting of a lock of 4 cutwaters and 2 abutments all of keeled plan with gritstone cappings, with grooves and fixings for lock gates. In 1867 an engine house and pumping station with tall chimney was built above. Single storey, 7 bay front, with plinth, arranged 4:3, the right hand 3 bays being set back and built on arches over the earlier lock. Semi-circular headed windows retain original cast iron glazing bars and have red and yellow banded voussoirs. In the right hand gable are 2 further similar windows and above a blocked circular opening formerly louvred. To left a tall square tapering brick chimney in Italianate style having triple plinth to the base and tall red brick recessed panels to the sides, with yellow brick angles and imposts. Above a dentillated and projecting course are paired similar shorter panels, also with voussoirs. The top of the chimney is corbelled out with moulded bands. On the left hand gable a contemporary wrought iron weather vane. Light cast iron roof trusses throughout. The engine house contained 6 boilers to raise the steam to operate the 2 pumps. The pumping station has been replaced by a modern station of 1938 also partly built on the original lock bases. The 1867 pumping station was built when the shrinking of the peat in the East Fen meant that the fen could no longer be drained by gravity, and the water had to be pumped into the higher southern half of Hobhole Drain. Source: Neil R. Wright.

Listing NGR: TF3793354489

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wright, N R - Title: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire

National Grid Reference: TF 37933 54489

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:16:26.