List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PURRIL'S ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1360481

Location

PURRIL'S ALMSHOUSES, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireBostonDistrict AuthorityBenington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 34 NE BENINGTON MAIN ROAD (west side)

8/5 Purril's Almshouses (formerly listed as 19.11.51 Almshouses by Churchyard)

G.V. II

5 almshouses. C15, rebuilt 1728, altered C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, front range with concrete pantile roof and brick coped partly tumbled gables, rear range with shallow slate roof. 11 bay, single storey front range having brick dentillated eaves, with 2 C20 doors and 9 C20 glazing bar sashes, all with segmental brick heads. Beneath the eaves an ashlar plaque records the rebuilding in 1728 by the Charity of Mr. Wm Porril. The side of the rear range has 4 two light sliding sashes to ground floor and 3 similar windows to first floor, all with brick segmental heads. In the side are 2 sections of C15 ashlar frieze of blank shields and cusped tracery. The school and bedehouses were bequeathed by Mr. William Purrill in his will dated 31st July 1725. Source: Thompson, History of Boston.

Listing NGR: TF3973846566

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, , History of Boston

National Grid Reference: TF 39738 46566

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:48:15.