List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1360195

Location

CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityTallington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194576

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 00 NE TALLINGTON CHURCH LANE (south side)

9/191 Church of 30.10.68 St. Lawrence

G.V. I

Parish church. Mid C12, early C13, late C13, C14, C15, spire destroyed 1762, restored 1879. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings. Copper, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, south and north transept, aisles, south porch, chancel. 3 stage C14 tower with clasping angle buttresses, chamfered bell moulded plinth, string courses and battlemented parapets with angle grotesques. The tower is slightly offset to the north. The belfry stage has paired C14 ogee headed lights with trefoil heads and quatrefoil over. In the west wall is a 2 light similar window with hood mould and lion terminals. In the north tower wall is a trefoil headed louvred light. Nave and aisle roofs are roofed in copper. In the west wall of the north aisle is a 2 light C14 window with ogee heads and flat arch. In the north wall is a similar 3 light window and a blocked pointed doorway. The clerestorey is C14 with 2 pairs of small cusped lights. At the east gable of the nave is a C15 single gabled sanctus bellcote. The north transpet has a 3 light C15 window with panel tracery and hood mould. The north wall of the chancel has a blank projection. The east window is C15 of 5 slender lights, with panel tracery, 4 centred arched surround with lion head stops. In the south wall is a segmental headed doorway, a trefoiled low side window and 2 three light windows, one with early C14 cusped lancets, the other with C15 cusped heads. The south transept has a C13 lancet, possibly reset, in the east, and a C14 3 light window with daggers to the head. In the walling are lengths of free stone banding. The clerestory matches that to the north and in the south aisle is a C15 3 light window with cusped heads. On a south aisle south west quoin is an inscription "James Briggs Guardian 1677". The gabled C14 south porch with Collyweston slate roof has a double chamfered outer arch and octagonal reveals. The inenr door is mid C12 with side shafts, cushion capitals, plain tympanum and an arch with an order of chevron, roll moulding and crosses saltire to the hood. The shaft bases also have chevron ornament. The early door has overlapping planks with ledges to rear. Interior. On the north side is a 2 bay early C13 arcade with circular pier, responds and abaci with double chamfered arches. Eastwards ia later C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds to the transept which balances a similar one to the south. Also in the south is a triple shafted C13 double chamfered arch to the aisle. Offset C14 continuously moulded tall tower arch of 3 waved orders. In the south aisle is a piscina in square surround and in the east wall a single chamfered pointed arch on corbels. In the south transept is a triangular headed aumbry and in the east wall is a mutilated and blocked C12 arch. The late C13 chancel arch has octagonal responds and a double chamfered arch with above a C19 tiled text. In the chancel north wall is a late C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal east respond and beyond a triangular headed aumbry. In the south wall is an early C13 piscina with stiff leaf shafted reveals. Statue brackets to the east wall. C19 tiled floor. The internal walls which are unplastered show extensive signs of earlier phases and modifications. Fittings. Are all C19 including panelled ashlar pulpit with cusped arches. C15 tower screen, reset in 1879 with central ogee arch and panelled ogee tracery. Plain octagonal C13 font on 4 short octagonal legs with narrow chamfered stem having fine conical cover with C14 crockets, pinnacles and central knop.

Listing NGR: TF0913707859

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 09137 07859

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:50:53.