List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY

List entry Number: 1360193

Location

MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY, STAMFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWest Deeping

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194665

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 1209-1309 WEST DEEPING STAMFORD ROAD (south side)

13/279 Molecey's Mill and the Granary 21.11.73 (formerly listed as Molecey House and Mill with Water Wheel).

II*

Mill, house and granary, now 2 houses. Cl7, 1773 granary with early C19 refronting of mill, and C20 alterations. Late C18 L shaped block with water wheel to rear. Squared limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and banded work to sides and granary. Collyweston slate roof with raised stone coped gables. Single gable and ridge stacks. 3 storey and garret, 5 bay front having plain parapet. Off-centre 6 panelled door with traceried fanlight, panelled reveals, moulded architrave with key and impost blocks. Covered by Doric columned portico, tetrastyle, with triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice, low pediment to centre bay only, lead covered, flanked by single tripartite glazing bar sashes. To first and second floor central glazing bar sashes are flanked by single similar windows. To left the mill building has an off-centre C20 panelled door flanked by leaded 2 light casements with to right a similar 3 light window. The upper floors have pairs of 2 light windows. Attached to the left is an advanced and gabled granary block of 3 storeys plus garret. In the ground floor a blocked door is flanked by a 2 light glazing bar casement and upper floors each have a single similar window. All windows have ashlar lintels with keystones. In the gable an ashlar datestone with initials JME and date 1773. 2 bay side front with similar windows. The water wheel chamber to rear has pantile roof with on the ridge a wooden turret. Stick baluster stair with carved string. Early C19 joinery details. Cl7 undershot water wheel modified C19,survives intact and is in working order; it is the only example in Lincolnshire of Poncelot's improved design. Grinding wheels and stones with wooden shaft. Mill retains all floors and beams. Source: N. R. Wright.

Listing NGR: TF1245209821

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wright, N R - Title: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire

National Grid Reference: TF 12452 09821

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 09:25:29.