List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1360165

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, LANGTOFT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBarholm and Stowe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194394

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 01 SE BARHOLM AND STOWE LANGTOFT ROAD (north side)

5/11 Church of St. Martin 30.10.68

G.V. I

Parish church. C11, mid C12, late C13, C14, 1648 tower rebuilt, 1855 and 1857 restoration by Edward Browning. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings. Collyweston slate roofs with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower with corner buttresses, bell moulded plinth, chamfered string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. To the belfry stage are 2 light openings with ogee heads to the lights and quatrefoil over. On the south side a narrow pointed light to middle stage with a triangular hood having reused pelta decoration. Above is clockface and a stone inscribed IH 1648 and below a short verse inscribed "Was ever such a thing since the creation, A new steeple built in the time of vexation." On the parapet a further datestone of 1855, when it was rebuilt. In the west wall a 3 light window with panel tracery and above a lancet. The C12 north aisle has 2 light C14 windows, one to the west, 2 to the north, all with cusped ogee heads. In the north wall is a reused round headed doorway with moulded imposts and chamfered head. To the east a C19 vestry with 2 light C14 style window. In the chancel north wall are 2 late C13 windows with pierced trefoil heads, and in the east wall a contemporary 3 light window with intersecting tracery. On the south side is a continuously moulded doorway and 2 two light windows with quatrefoils. The south wall of the nave has an elaborate stepped plinth with a lancet having quatrefoil decorated head, and a triplet of lancets. The blocked south door is Cll, round headed with engaged shafted reveals and chamfered imposts with billet moulding. On the eastern impost is a low relief carving of twining dragon and below the imposts on either side are jews harp motifs. The door head has a single order of roll moulding. Above is a relief cross now of the Tau form, but probably originally with an upward arm. Late C13 gabled south porch with round shafted reveals, annular capitals, and 2 hollow chamfered orders. Side benches. The inner doorway is mid C12 with double nook shafted reveals, having scalloped capitals and 3 orders of chevron moulding. The doorway has a tympanum decorated with low relief zigzag ornament and supported on roll moulded corbels, bearing crosses saltire and abstract leaves. Above is a C14 niche with moulded surround and cusped head now containing a C20 wooden figure. Interior. 3 bay mid C12 north arcade, with round piers, scalloped capitals and square abaci with single orders of chevron moulding and pelta moulded hoods. The pointed tower arch has octagonal reveals and orders of reused C12 chevron and pelta moulding. Above is a single lancet. Chancel arch has C12 circular and shafted reveals now with a C13 roll moulded and pointed head. In the south wall of the chancel is a triple mid C13 sedilia with circular shafts and moulded heads. Beyond is a contemporary trefoil headed piscina. C19 roof with large angel supporters and moulded stone corbels. C19 stained glass. C19 fittings including brass candelabrum. Early C13 octagonal font with C19 base, the sides of the bowl are decorated with a variety of relief motifs. including concentric circles, quatrefoils, zigzags and waves. C19 elaborately carved openwork font cover. Monuments. In the north aisle a brass wall plaque to Francis Fordham d.1641, with epitaph and shield. At the east end of the north aisle is an early C18 marble wall monument to Richard Walburge et al. In the form of a broken segmented pediment with cartouche supported on Ionic pillars. On the base are skulls, acanthus, leaves and a cherub.

Listing NGR: TF0900610976

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 09006 10976

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 05:14:30.