List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1360153

Location

CHURCH OF ST. STEPHEN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityCarlby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 01 SW CARLBY CHURCH STREET (south side) 4/59 Church of 30.10.68 St. Stephen

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1200, early C13, late C13, C14, C15, 1821, Coursed limestone rubble. Ashlar. Collyweston slate, slate and lead roofs. Stone coped gables. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage C13 tower in coursed limestone rubble has clasping corner buttresses to ground stage only, 2 chamfered string courses, broach spire on human head corbel table with 2 sets of lucarnes in the 4 principal directions. The lower ones are of 2 lights, with trefoil heads to the lights and quatrefoils over. The upper ones are of 2 pointed lights. The tower belfry stage has 2 light bell openings with octagonal central shaft moulded capital, pointed heads to the lights, and hood.mould. The west window is a lancet with hood mould and above is a smaller similar window. The north aisle has 2 pointed lights to the west end, with slate roof. In the north wall a blocked reset C12 arch with moulded hood and imposts, and a C14 3 light cusped ogee headed window with cambered arch. The nave roof is of lead and there is a clerestory of 3 paired C14 cusped lights. In the east wall of the aisle a late C13 2 light plate traceried window with quatrefoil. In the north wall of the chancel is a window of 3 lights, C15 with heavy panel tracery. In the east wall of the chancel is a similar window and above a plaque recording the restoration of the chancel in 1821. The south wall has a central pointed doorway with hobnail imposts and moulded hood and 2 late C14 2 light windows with cusped heads to the lights and low 4 centred heads. In the east wall of the ashlar south aisle a 3 light C15 window with panel tracery. The south wall has 2 three light C14 windows with cusped ogee heads and cambered heads. In the west wall a single C14 light with cusped head and moulded hood. The gabled C14 ashlar porch has double chamfered outer arch and moulded imposts and above a trefoil niche. Side benches. The fine inner doorway has deeply recessed continuously moulded surround with 4 centred arched head and embattled stops to the moulded hood. The original planked door has contemporary strap hinges and a pierced iron plate for closing ring, now removed. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades, c.1200, with double chamfered rounded arches, chamfered hoods, with beast and human head stops. Circular piers and abaci, some with nail head decoration, tapering responds to the east. Early C13 pointed and double chamfered tower arch also with tapering responds. Above an off centre pointed single chamfered doorway and the earlier nave roof pitch can be seen. C14 tie beam roof with arched braces to wall posts, and King posts. In the south aisle a C14 cusped ogee piscina and by the door a similar hacked back stoup. Steeply pointed double chamfered early C13 chancel arch with half rounded shafts to reveals and octagonal imposts. Above the chancel arch a painted C15 doom depicting the dead rising from their graves, tended by angels and demons. In the chancel a late C13 pointed headed piscina with moulded hood and stops. Fittings. Late C17 turned baluster altar rails and panelled pulpit. C18 panel backed choir stalls, 2 C14 oak pews with plain _ ends and back rests, otherwise all fittings are C19. C13 tub font with moulded octagonal top and shaft. The top has a form of billet moulding. Monuments. In the north aisle north wall a C14 moulded and pointed tomb recess, now containing a coped slab with stepped base cross fleury and large foliate leaves. On the chancel north wall a marble wall plaque in the form of an obelisk by Bingham of Peterborough to Elizabeth Clarke d.1792.

Listing NGR: TF0496813894

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 04969 13894

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:35:22.