List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1360134

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityHaconby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194325

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HACONBY CHURCH LANE TF 12 NW (south side) 7/111 Church of 30.10.68 St. Andrew G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, c.1300, C15, restored C19. Coursed ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some render. Plain tile roofs with some decorative red ridge tiles and stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower and spire, nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel with north chapel. West tower of c.1300 with ironstone and limestone banding. Plinth, moulded string course and 4 stage angle buttresses with stair turret in south-west corner with 4 slit stair lights. Small pointed west window with Y tracery and lower, barely pointed lights, hood mould and head label stops. East side with doorway giving access to nave roof with flat head, chamfered surround and plank door. Recessed bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head and 2 cusped, pointed lights divided by a single shaft with rich foliate capital, quatrefoil above and hood mould with head label stops. Moulded eaves above with numerous corbel heads. C15 parapet above with frieze of circles inscribed with diamonds. Recessed octagonal spire with 4 polygonal pinnacles at its base, with gabled sides and finials. 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides, each with crocketed gable, 2 cusped pointed lights and quatrefoil. Spire topped by finial with weathervane. Late C15 north aisle with plinth, moulded string course and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses with upper gabled set offs. West end of north aisle with window with shallow pointed head, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood mould. North side with doorway to west with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. 2 windows to east, both with shallow pointed heads, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood mould. C15 clerestory above with 3 windows each with flattened triangular heads and 2 cusped, pointed lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Late C15 north chapel with plinth, moulded string courses and regularly positioned 2 stage buttresses with upper, gabled setoffs. Easternmost buttress contains plain empty niche. Basket arch to west with bowtell moulded surround and divided into 3 by 2 thick moulded mullions rising from ground level. 2 narrow cusped, pointed lights flanked by single cusped pointed lights, while below, between the mullions in a pointed doorway with a continuous moulded surround and plank door. 2 windows to east with basket heads, bowtell moulded surrounds and 4 cusped, pointed lights. East front of north chapel with 3 stage buttresses with upper gabled setoffs, flanking window with basket head and 3 pointed, cusped lights. Moulded eaves and parapet run continuously for the full length of north aisle and chapel. East front of chancel with moulded string course running under pointed late C14 window restored in C19, with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Cusped oculus above and 2 stage diagonal buttress to south. South side of chancel with ironstone and limestone banding, plinth and 2 two stage buttresses. Window to east with basket head, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood mould. Mid C12 blocked doorway to west with semi-circular head and chamfered surround. Long C17 rectangular window to west with smaller rectangular window above. C15 south aisle with plinth and moulded string courses. East end with window with shallow pointed head, 3 cusped, pointed heads and hood mould. South side with 2 stage buttresses with upper gabled setoffs alternating with 2 windows with shallow pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed lights, hood mould and label stops. C15 gabled porch to west with plinth and moulded string course, large battlements with cross finial. West and east walls with single pierced quatrefoils and 2 fragmentary finials on each interior window sill. Pointed south doorway with moulded head, semi-circular jambs with moulded capitals and polygonal abaci. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. C15 interior doorway with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, rectangular hood mould with frieze of quatrefoil in spandrels below and large label stops containing shields. West end of south aisle with shallow pointed head, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, hood mould with label stops. Moulded eaves and parapet run full length of aisle. C15 clerestory with 3 windows with flattened triangular heads and 2 cusped pointed lights. Interior tower arch of c.1300 with quadruple chamfered head with 2 outer orders dying into rectangular jambs, 2 inner orders having continuous chamfers running down jambs, hood mould. South-west corner of tower with doorway with rectangular head, chamfered surround and plank door. Early C13 three bay north and south arcades with polygonal responds, round piers on polygonal plinths and moulded capitals; double chamfered pointed heads, hood moulds and heads in spandrels. South aisle with early C15 piscina with ogee shaped head, continuous rolled surround and freestanding, crudely carved bowl with slender roll mouldings at each corner. East wall of south aisle with fragmentary corbel. C15 roof over nave with tie beams resting on ashlar, castellated corbels; aisle roofs heavily restored in C19 and C20. Pointed C13 chancel arch with double chamfered head, polygonal responds with polygonal moulded capitals and abaci running into string course on either side. Four centred C15 tomb recess in north wall of chancel giving access to north chapel; with soffit decorated with blind panel tracery; hood mould and shield label stops. Doorway to left with pointed head and rectangular hood mould with foliage and shields in spandrel below, plank door. Aumbry in north wall with square, roll moulded surround and double plank doors. South wall of chancel with piscina with ogee shaped head and continuous chamfered surround. Blocked doorway to west with brass plaque inserted, monument to Samuel Hopkinson,died 1841, and his wife Elizabeth, with ornate pair of canopies with black, red and blue detailing designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, and made by Hardman and Iliffe. North chapel with stone benches running round north and east walls. Mullions of windows are carried down below level of windows to benches with blind traceried panels in between. Doorway flanked by mullions running down from window above. South wall of chapel with piscina with ogee shaped head and continuous moulded surround. C18 altar rail with turned balusters and moulded handrail; 2 central sections removed from in front of high altar to a similar position in north chapel. Late C14 chest with rich traceried front including simple foliate motifs and eagles entwined, and 2 flanking bands carved with winged dragons; panelled lid with locks and studded iron bands intact. C15 panelled chest with studded iron bands and various locks. C14 polygonal pulpit with painted panels removed for restoration, and polygonal wooden spreading base. Late C12 drum font with round C20 plinth, round pedestal with small shafts at each corner and square plan. C19 lectern and choir stalls. C20 chairs. Monument in north wall of tower of ashlar set on corbels to John Audeley, died 1648, with rhyming acrostic.

Listing NGR: TF1067225262

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 10672 25262

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:02:38.